1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Welding information anyone?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by TGurau, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Aug 18, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    TGurau

TGurau [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tibi
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '98 SR5 4x4
    3" OME Suspension lift. PEX motoring headlights.
    Hello all, I am looking to restoring cars and am starting on my 98 Tacoma. I don't have any idea about welding. Welding does NOT need to be done on my Taco, BUT I want to learn anyway. My tailgate is banged up so I'm totally ok with tearing it apart and practicing on it (until I get it right and make it look good).

Down to the point. I need some info on welder's and what kind should be used on vehicles. I see a 90 AMP flux wire wler for 90 bucks and was wondering if it's a good price and if it's a good welder for fixing frames and doing extensive body work? Just throwing it out there!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. Aug 19, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    In my opinion this is the best welder for begginer and somebody who knows welding but does not want to spent $1000's on welder
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306073_200306073
    Plus you will find always tons of parts and attachments for it.

3. Aug 19, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    I have the Hobart above. Great welder. I knew when I bought it I was going to need a bigger one someday but got a good deal and needed a MIG ASAP.

You need to think long and hard about how far you are going to go with welding. This isn't the type of decision to get cheap with.

Are you going to be content welding sheet metal or do you see yourself repairing trailers, making bumpers, welding frames, etc?

A good 110 volt welder can weld up to 3/16" thick steel on a single pass with gas. They can usually weld up to 1/4" thick on a single pass with flux core.

The problem with welding with one of these at maximum capacity is that they'll have a short duty cycle. Say they'll weld for 3 minutes straight and then need a 10 minute break to cool off.

So if you think there is even a chance you'll be welding at least 3/16" material get a 220v welder and have your shop wired for it. They're not that much more and you can do twice the amount of work.

You'll probably want to run .023 or so diameter wire for sheet metal and then something like .035 for the thicker stuff so make sure the machine you buy can accommodate that range of wire. Most can so don't worry.

Don't waste your time welding sheet metal with flux core. Yes, it can and has been done and it can look pretty decent once you get good. But the clean up and splatter are a pain in the ass. Get gas. You save yourself a ton of time and your stuff will look a lot better with less grinding.

4. Aug 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    TGurau

TGurau [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tibi
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '98 SR5 4x4
    3" OME Suspension lift. PEX motoring headlights.
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into this and see if I can buy it. A little pricey, but I'll see what I can do. I may have to take some classes for welding if i'm going to spend this kind of money on a welder.

5. Aug 25, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    It's Hobart and Miller not Lincoln.

I had the Hobart 140 and it's a great little Mig it gets the job done for thin materiel any Hobart is going to be a great welder But if you have the money go with Miller. Just my 2c

6. Aug 25, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    The internals in the Hobart welders are identical regardless of where you purchase it from. Miller and Lincoln change internals when they sell through the big box stores for pricing reasons. Same model #s use different components when sold through a welding supply shop vs. a Lowes or Home Depot.

The Hobart is a great little welder. I've used Handler 140 to do suspension work on my car trailer with a ton of success. I use flux core since I weld outdoors and found that running a .035 tip with .030 wire eliminates binding issues. The gun even says "Miller" on it so you know it's easy to find replacement parts.

7. Oct 2, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    Save your money and buy a Millermatic 211 (about $1400). Thing about welders is if you buy a cheep one and stick with welding you will undoubtably buy a more expensive one. I say spend your money only once. This welder you can do everything and anything. Easily weld one inch steel with one pass or weld sheet metal. With the purchase of the optional spool gun you can weld aluminum

Products Discussed in

To Top