Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Bout to get an 09, need advice...

Old 10-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
clia25 is on a distinguished road
clia25's Tacoma Gallery
Bout to get an 09, need advice...

I am looking to pick up my first Taco (09 model). I am looking at an SR5 with the towing package. Would you recommend I get the towing package if i only plan to tow a small bay boat about once per month? the distance of towing is 1.5 - 2 hours (approx 100 miles each way). Also, they are quoting me $795 to upgrade to aluminum wheels. Should I go after market for those wheels? Last thing: I am getting quote between $23,500 - $24,000. Is that a good deal? much thanks in advance for any advise.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to Tacoma World!!!!
Get the tow package, skip the wheels as you are more than likely going to get different ones anyway, since you found this fourum.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
clia25 is on a distinguished road
clia25's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the quick responses. I forgot to add that it will be a 2WD double cab. That's a beauty you got there Jason. I am looking at the black color also.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by clia25 View Post
thanks for the quick responses. I forgot to add that it will be a 2WD double cab. That's a beauty you got there Jason. I am looking at the black color also.
Thanks! I love black vehicles - almost all of mine have been black. However, I saw the new grey color they have now right after I bought mine three weeks ago, and I love that one too...
Old 10-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW

No need for the towing package. If there is a problem finding one with it. I have an 05 DC SR5 without towing & it does fine. I tow an 18' Ranger bass boat, no problems. But if you can get one with towing, it is only about $400 more. Well worth it!

I would go with aftermarket wheels. Better selection for the money.

The price sounds reasonable. I am in the market for an 09 myself. I'm using carsdirect.com They do the searching for you. And checkout the website, it will show any rebates. Also what you should be paying for that vehicle.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I ran the numbers on Edmunds. The invoice for an SR5 DC 4x2 with towing is: $23555. There is also a $1000 rebate till Oct 31st in my area.

Carsdirect price came back as: $23593 with the rebate.

I'm going to offer $22,500 & see what they say. Also you can pit other dealers against each other for the best price.

If there are any 08's left, Toyota is offering $2500 rebates. I ran the numbers on an 08 sport with towing. $21,720.

Good luck,
Sean
Old 10-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Hey guys watch THIS!
fasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to behold

fasn8dave's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if I'd get the towing package or not, but I'd definitely skip on the wheel upgrade- get some customer wheels, make it your own!

Just watch out for other features / amenities. You don't want to regret skimping out on something like the rear view camera, electronic components, navigation, whatever trips your trigger...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #9
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasn8dave View Post
I don't know if I'd get the towing package or not, but I'd definitely skip on the wheel upgrade- get some customer wheels, make it your own!

Just watch out for other features / amenities. You don't want to regret skimping out on something like the rear view camera, electronic components, navigation, whatever trips your trigger...
x2 on the backup camera! One of my favorite features. It's really too small to use as your only means of viewing behind you (still need to turn and look). But I back in to almost every space I park in and this helps A LOT with knowing how far I can go back before hitting that car....
Old 10-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think I have ever see any new v6 trucks without tow package, mind as well

the back up camera RULEZ!!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I would definitely go for the tow package. You get the upgraded alternator/battery, a transmission oil cooler, and the prewiring for a brake controller on top of the hitch/reciever/harness assembly.

If you are planning on towing over 3,000 lbs - get the tow package. You won't be dissapointed.

As for the rest of it - get what you want. I tend to agree with everyone here - your stock wheels are fine, but you will probably want aftermarket wheels soon.

Welcome to TW!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
yea go for the tow package like everyone else said. it's worth it. the backup camera really helps in tight spots on road or off too.
as far as color... i got the new charcoal grey on mine and i love it becasue it looks black at night but doesn't show the dirt nearly as bad during the day until you wash it.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
towing package is a great thing to get even if u dont tow a single thing....u get the bigger battery, bigger alternator, AND the transmission cooler, not to mention the light connection and the receiver. i'd say it is a worthy $650 for that tow package
Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 AM   #15
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
Holy Thread revival Batman!
Indeed.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Wherever I May Roam
SteelCity will become famous soon enoughSteelCity will become famous soon enough

Navy: Navy Corpsman, LT, FMF (RET), U.S. Marines 4th LSB, Shock-Trauma Platoon
SteelCity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
towing package is a great thing to get even if u dont tow a single thing....u get the bigger battery, bigger alternator, AND the transmission cooler, not to mention the light connection and the receiver. i'd say it is a worthy $650 for that tow package
X2. I don't have the tow package and have already added a tranny cooler and hitch. I think the TP is worth it.