Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

anyone use the stock antenna for a cb radio?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Rowski is on a distinguished road
Name: Martin
Rowski's Tacoma Gallery
anyone use the stock antenna for a cb radio?

or if you just happen to know that it will work. i dont need ridiculous range. maybe half mile to a full mile.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
No, I can't see how it could...you would need a dedicated antenna, made for CBs that you can tune to the best possible SWR of 1:1. You can just google SWR tuning and it will give you all sorts of links like: http://www.rightchannelradios.com/pa...-pv-c0-58.html

For $25, you could simply get a magnet mount antenna. I have two Wilson Little Wil's and they are great, and may be removed at will. I have driven with them and have never had one move on me under a variety of conditions.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Rowski's Tacoma Gallery
is a cb antenna normally longer than the stock antenna? maybe i could mount it to run parallel next to the antenna. i want something i can leave on that is as invisible as possible.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
My recommendation is to mount an antenna opposite of your stock antenna using a hood mount. You can search this forum for examples of folks who've used them. Placing a CB antenna next to a stock antenna will probably generate some moderate interference, although, I have never tried it. They also make window-mount Cb antennas that look like the old cellular antennas too that you may find will blend into the truck better.

As far as length goes, yes, they make antennas similar size and appearance of our stock FM antennas.

If I were you, I would use the search function on TW and read up on different installs. Some of these guys are true experts and you can PM them for advice that is far more technically sound than mine. I am a hack when it comes to CB info... i just got lucky with my installs but I did follow advice posted on TW.

Good luck with your endeavor.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
If your antenna is too long or too short your swr will be off and you can literally damage your cb. There are small antennas that look like a cell antenna as said that have a preload in them. You can also get fold down antennas, or quick detachable antennas.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
you could probably make your stock antenna work if you wrapped wrapped a wire extension around it to get it tuned and than...you could use plasti-dip to make it look stock again.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:39 AM   #7
Rowski's Tacoma Gallery
how about the little window mount antennas?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
CBs, radio, and cell phones all operate at different frequencies. You're best bet (unless you have an electrical engineering degree) is to stick with what the manufacturer provides.

Saw this set up on TW, looks pretty cool. Super low profile, and the antenna is easily removable when not in use.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s...o/5744/cat/500
Old 08-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
Radio antenna is a receive only transmission. CB antenna is a receive/transmit. It is not possible to use a stock antenna for a CB. It is however possible to use a CB antenna for a radio. There is a splitter available to be able to run radio and CB off of one antenna. One guy on here has a write up on how to mount a CB antenna in the stock location. It looks really good.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowski View Post
how about the little window mount antennas?
From everything that I have read, the window mount (cell phone look) antenna is not reliable. Alot of people on here run the Lil Wilson magnet mount and swear by it.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Very bad idea. Factory radio antenna is not designed for CB frequencies, and not designed for transmitting.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #12
Rowski's Tacoma Gallery
well, i dont mind buying a cb antenna and using that for my radio. is that difficult?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
No.

But I have thought about removing my stock antenna and mounting the CB antenna there. I haven't used the FM/AM radio in years.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
you need an antenna that is at least half of the frequency of the wavelength that you are trying to receive... f.m. and a.m. radio wavelengths are a lot shorter than those used for c.b.'s hence the size difference unless a booster is used. and that is just receiving. the stock antenna will transmit very poorly. Why not just replace the stock one with a stubby c.b. antenna?
Old 09-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #15
Rowski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Taco View Post
you need an antenna that is at least half of the frequency of the wavelength that you are trying to receive... f.m. and a.m. radio wavelengths are a lot shorter than those used for c.b.'s hence the size difference unless a booster is used. and that is just receiving. the stock antenna will transmit very poorly. Why not just replace the stock one with a stubby c.b. antenna?
would this screw up my radio? i still use fm.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
No it won't screw it up, you need a splitter though, something like this:

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/po...itter-279.html

To get the best performance though a separate antennae should be used.
There you go... problem solved! get a CB antenna that looks half way stock, and run both threw it in the factory location.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #17
Rowski's Tacoma Gallery
you guys are awesome, thanks!