LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Fuel Filter Replacement now leak. (1st Gen)

Old 09-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel Filter Replacement now leak. (1st Gen)

Attempted to change the fuel filter today on my 2004 3.4, but I keep getting a leak on the (IN) side of the new filter. The replacement was a Wix # 33319 and I've since tried the original Toyota fitler which is leaking on the same side. I've changed fuel filters before but that was on a 1996 S10 4.3 and I'm assuming it's the same process. I did reference the Haynes book which mentioned seals 2x per side which are installed with the filter (which I didn't see when I removed the stock filter). Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Does the filter use copper washers to seal to the fuel lines? If you haven't replaced those, that's probably it.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I didn't see any washers on the original filter once I removed it, compared the two (ome & Wix) and they looked the same. Looked like they basically hand screwed to the filter then tightened with a wrench.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Cheyenne Trail Crew

Looks like I need to purchase some copper gaskets that come with some filters not the WIX 33319.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Cheyenne Trail Crew

*Fixed with Teflon thread tape *
Old 09-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You should have the crush washers in there...if not, it will leak.

I'd put some in soon..I'd think the gas would eat the teflon tape eventually
Old 09-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
McBride513 is on a distinguished road
Name: Luke
McBride513's Tacoma Gallery
Your never supposed to use teflon tape with fuel fittings. Bad things will happen.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Cheyenne Trail Crew

UPDATE: Yeah, leak came back went to the dealership and got the gaskets in the pic below. These wont fit over either end of the two fuel lines, what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd I tried changing mine awhile ago and it leaked the same way, so I put the stock one back on and it didn't leak! I have another fuel filter I am going to be installing shortly
Old 11-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Cheyenne Trail Crew

Yeah, I tried the my stock and it starting leaking the same way. Kinda stock between a rock and a hard place at this point.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Take a picture of your new fuel filter..
and if they won't fit over line set..then obviously they ordered you the wrong part..
it's pretty simple.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
Cheyenne Trail Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
Take a picture of your new fuel filter..
and if they won't fit over line set..then obviously they ordered you the wrong part..
it's pretty simple.
Figured as much, thanks.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
Cheyenne Trail Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Neither my original nor my replacement filters had washers. (I installed the same WIX 33319.) No leaks here, but it is a PITA to line-up the threads correctly. You also need to tighten it down pretty hard.
Same boat (no washers), I'll just try and line-up the threads again. Thanks guys.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #15
I'll eat all your food.

Take the washer to the hardware store..and look for a aluminium washer..it'll work..
then use a LITTLE rtv on the edges of washer between filter body/nut...it'll ensure no leaks after it's tightened down.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
Cheyenne Trail Crew

I reinstalled filter, no washer, no Teflon tape..., didn't try so hard to get the filter lines aligned with the bracket instead focused on the threads. I tightened both ends down no leaks. I do appreciate the insight and tips.