Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SWAPPING 2ND GEN BENCH SEAT FOR BUCKETS;

View Poll Results: Will you swap Your bench seats for Buckets?
Yes, I hate the bench seat 20 68.97%
Nope, bench seat is fine 5 17.24%
Undecided 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #21
JBelkovitch is on a distinguished road
JBelkovitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
Im assuming you have an automatic transmission. The 4.0 V6 Center trim is not compatible with the 2.7L Automatic transmission(different placement). However, the Manual V6 center Trim will work with the 2.7L
Manual. im going to make a console write-up in the OP.
Thanks. I've got a 2.7L 4X2 auto. I bought a V6 full console from a wrecker ($100), and you're right, different placement. Do they even make a full-length for a 2.7 4X2?
Thanks again!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #22
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBelkovitch View Post
Thanks. I've got a 2.7L 4X2 auto. I bought a V6 full console from a wrecker ($100), and you're right, different placement. Do they even make a full-length for a 2.7 4X2?
Thanks again!
I don't think so, you may be able to do a custom trim piece around the shifter and keep the full length console. Edit; Toyota website shows full length console new for 2011 automatic 2.7l 4x4. So you could swap in one from a 2011.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #23
jsutter has a spectacular aura aboutjsutter has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
jsutter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for this write up. I thought I might pull out a set of bucket seats if I see them in a salvage yard for cheap, but now I won't because I would rather keep all of the safety equipment. Good thing I am OK with the bench seat.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #24
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
As an FYI to everybody, I am the one who zip tied a piece of metal to the seat postition sensor. 2 things to note on that.

1. the stock 2.7l manual console does not let the passenger seat get too close to the airbag.

2. Even in the bench seat the airbag work unless the seat is in the forward most position. youd have to be 4ft tall or shorter

Another thing to point out if you are afraid to disable the safety side airbags. just remember 08 and earlier trucks didnt have the side airbags and they are still safe trucks...

sliders help too. they are bumper level for 90% of vehicles and will be first in contact in a side collision
Old 09-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #25
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
lol at the title being in all CAPS, and the poll.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #26
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucas View Post
lol at the title being in all CAPS, and the poll.
TROLL
Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #27
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Things i don't know;

~ NOT sure if the passenger weight sensor can be bypassed with a regular switch?

I have a write up on how to transfer the passenger weight sensor from the bench to whatever seats your transplanting. I have an 08 so I only have two airbags. all my airbags functions properly.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
I have a write up on how to transfer the passenger weight sensor from the bench to whatever seats your transplanting. I have an 08 so I only have two airbags. all my airbags functions properly.
I linked up your thread with this one.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #29
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I linked up your thread with this one. I saw that you transplanted the weight sensor but i want to try something different and bypass the weight sensor with an OEM on/ off passenger airbag switch in the dash.
lol my bad. totally missed that. lmao.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #30
TypeR6 is on a distinguished road
Name: Max
TypeR6's Tacoma Gallery
Great post! Where can I find buckets seats and the center console? How much can I expect to spend? 09-up come with side airbags? I passionately hate my bench seat!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #31

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeR6 View Post
Great post! Where can I find buckets seats and the center console? How much can I expect to spend? 09-up come with side airbags? I passionately hate my bench seat!
Search Tacomaworld, craigslist, and eBay for seats/console. Tacoma seats are going used for around 450-500 pair. When you do come across some, buy them up quick because they are hard to find! there's a seat set for sale right now on TW in the BST section here;http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-0-engine.html
Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #32

Update for those still interested in the swap; I decided to grind down the Bench seatbelt buckle and utilize the correct bucket seat female buckles, works great and no more bench seat buckles getting hung up between the seat/console!! im still working on getting the airbag system working without bypassing any sensors and using the correct bucket seat occupant detection system. I currently have gathered an OEM toyota passenger airbag shutoff switch, and searching for more oem parts. There will be another DIY writeup with pics when this is complete!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #33
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
So the 05-08's will have none of these airbag issues the 09+ guys will?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #34

05-08's will have most of the same issues due to different vehicle occupant detection systems between the bench and buckets. This means the airbag module/harness needs to be swapped out too
Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #35
PRERUNN is on a distinguished road
PRERUNN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
05-08's will have most of the same issues due to different vehicle occupant detection systems between the bench and buckets. This means the airbag module/harness needs to be swapped out too
So if I get a set of 2007-2008 seats and take all the wires off the 2010 bench it and put on new seats it "should" work right? As in the airbag light should not show?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #36
kimo will become famous soon enough

Name: Darin
kimo's Tacoma Gallery
From a safety stand point , I wouldn't do this swap if it were me. Just buy a truck with bucket seats if thats WTF you want.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRERUNN View Post
So if I get a set of 2007-2008 seats and take all the wires off the 2010 bench it and put on new seats it "should" work right? As in the airbag light should not show?
Yes, You could go that route and Bypass the seat rail sensors and transplant the bench weight sensor, the airbag light will stay off. In my opinion, its never good to bypass, though some have done it here . Im going for 100% Funtionality with my transplant by using the correct occupant detection system and airbag module/wires.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo View Post
From a safety stand point , I wouldn't do this swap if it were me. Just buy a truck with bucket seats if thats WTF you want.
that's you, us 5 Luggers are here to share knowledge and tips in the 5 lug thread section. no need to shit on our thread, we all know the risks involved
Old 12-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #39
kimo will become famous soon enough

Name: Darin
kimo's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
that's you, us 5 Luggers are here to share knowledge and tips in the 5 lug thread section. no need to shit on our thread, we all know the risks involved
I have to agree with you, had a few too many cocktails the night I posted my reply to your thread. You guys must have some valid reasons to go the trouble of making these mods.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #40
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Here's another alternative, if you want to make your bench seat more comfortable and don't go the full nine yards of replacing it. Better lumbar support and the metal rods that cut off the circulation in your butt removed.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mfortable.html