1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New alarm system and the dome light delay

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Cerberus, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Sep 4, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    Cerberus

Cerberus [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6
    Got my alarm installed yesterday at a local place. Since I can't talk to them about this until Tuesday, I thought I'd pick yall's brains.

Not sure I can do anything about it until then.

Anyway, they apparently hooked up the alarm to use the dome light to detect whether the doors are open. The problem, of course, is that the dome light doesn't shut off right away when I get out of the truck. So if I arm the alarm before the dome light shuts off, the alarm thinks that doors are open and beeps five or six times and is irritating. The alternative is to stand there until the dome light shuts off and then hit it.

Was there another way for them to hook this up? My previous car ('08 Camry) had the delayed exit lights, too, but when I armed the alarm then, all the lights would shut off right away, no problem. That alarm was installed at the dealership.

If I can't do anything about this, I'm going to have to have them disable the chirp. One beep is annoying enough, five or six is out of the question.

Thanks

Cerberus

2. Sep 4, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    kwalton

kwalton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, Md
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Sport 4x4
    What kind of alarm is it?

3. Sep 4, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    EAR28

EAR28 Active Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Silver Truck
    I used to install DEI alarms, and the answer it yes this can be fixed.

There should be two different wires coming out of the alarm, one for door triggers and another for the dome light. It sounds like they used the dome like trigger to act as the door trigger just as you suspect.

When I installed my alarm, I remember that each door has a separate trigger wire or a single wire behind the fuse box. I'd take it back and have them do it right.

4. Sep 4, 2011 at 7:14 AM
    Cerberus

Cerberus [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6
    It's a Pursuit PRO-9776C, according to the manual. I'm taking a look through there to see if there's anything I can do...

Cerberus

5. Sep 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    Cerberus

Cerberus [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6
    I tried disabling the chirps per the alarm's instruction manual (involves turning the key on and off, pressing buttons, dancing naked and chanting) so this thing wouldn't turn all the neighbors against me every time I lock it.

Disabling the chirps apparently only disables them for normal operating circumstances, i.e. lock and unlock. When the alarm thinks a door is left open, however, the chirps are there loud as ever.

This goddamned thing is really irritating me. It's not that I can't just stand there and wait for the dome light to shut off, it's the principle of the thing. I paid (rather a lot) for it and it doesn't work right :mad:

Cerberus

6. Sep 5, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    Cerberus

Cerberus [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6
    Aaaand, I think I have it worked out.

Found the installer's manual for the alarm online and discovered that there's a delay programming feature for dome lights. You can set to to learn how long the delay is, it adds 2 seconds, and you're golden.

I've got that part worked out, but decided to leave all the chirps off anyway. Prefer it quiet.

Anyway, I'm a touch disappointed that the installer didn't bother with it. They have a reputation around these parts for being a good shop.

Anyway.

Cerberus

Products Discussed in

To Top