Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

New alarm system and the dome light delay

Old 09-04-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
Cerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Cerberus's Tacoma Gallery
New alarm system and the dome light delay

Got my alarm installed yesterday at a local place. Since I can't talk to them about this until Tuesday, I thought I'd pick yall's brains.

Not sure I can do anything about it until then.

Anyway, they apparently hooked up the alarm to use the dome light to detect whether the doors are open. The problem, of course, is that the dome light doesn't shut off right away when I get out of the truck. So if I arm the alarm before the dome light shuts off, the alarm thinks that doors are open and beeps five or six times and is irritating. The alternative is to stand there until the dome light shuts off and then hit it.

Was there another way for them to hook this up? My previous car ('08 Camry) had the delayed exit lights, too, but when I armed the alarm then, all the lights would shut off right away, no problem. That alarm was installed at the dealership.

If I can't do anything about this, I'm going to have to have them disable the chirp. One beep is annoying enough, five or six is out of the question.

Thanks

Cerberus
Old 09-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
kwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kwalton's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of alarm is it?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
EAR28 has much to be proud ofEAR28 has much to be proud ofEAR28 has much to be proud ofEAR28 has much to be proud ofEAR28 has much to be proud ofEAR28 has much to be proud ofEAR28 has much to be proud ofEAR28 has much to be proud ofEAR28 has much to be proud of

EAR28's Tacoma Gallery
I used to install DEI alarms, and the answer it yes this can be fixed.

There should be two different wires coming out of the alarm, one for door triggers and another for the dome light. It sounds like they used the dome like trigger to act as the door trigger just as you suspect.

When I installed my alarm, I remember that each door has a separate trigger wire or a single wire behind the fuse box. I'd take it back and have them do it right.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Cerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCerberus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
It's a Pursuit PRO-9776C, according to the manual. I'm taking a look through there to see if there's anything I can do...

Cerberus
Old 09-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
I tried disabling the chirps per the alarm's instruction manual (involves turning the key on and off, pressing buttons, dancing naked and chanting) so this thing wouldn't turn all the neighbors against me every time I lock it.

Disabling the chirps apparently only disables them for normal operating circumstances, i.e. lock and unlock. When the alarm thinks a door is left open, however, the chirps are there loud as ever.

This goddamned thing is really irritating me. It's not that I can't just stand there and wait for the dome light to shut off, it's the principle of the thing. I paid (rather a lot) for it and it doesn't work right

Cerberus
Old 09-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
Aaaand, I think I have it worked out.

Found the installer's manual for the alarm online and discovered that there's a delay programming feature for dome lights. You can set to to learn how long the delay is, it adds 2 seconds, and you're golden.

I've got that part worked out, but decided to leave all the chirps off anyway. Prefer it quiet.

Anyway, I'm a touch disappointed that the installer didn't bother with it. They have a reputation around these parts for being a good shop.

Anyway.

Cerberus