Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

tractor motor in truck?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
96 toy taco is on a distinguished road

96 toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
Question tractor motor in truck?

looking at the videos on youtube i just happened to come across one talking about a tractor motor in a truck. now as funny as this seems the guy is serious about it. says you can get 40 or even 50 mpg. do you think any of this is even possible? now with that said, he live in the mid ga area where i live. so i might just have to go check this guy out. anyways heres his website.

http://www.shadetreeconversions.com/index.php

tell me what yall think.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Eldowr will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Desk Sgt
Name: Donavon
Eldowr's Tacoma Gallery
If you put the right diesel into a tacoma you could probably get 30 mpg fairly easily. I've been doing lots of research on diesel engines lately, seen some guys putting Kabota diesels into chevy S-10s and getting +25mpg.

If you wanted a beastly engine for the Taco, a Cummins 4BT would be amazing. It wouldn't get quite the MPG as a smaller more efficient engine, but you could be running 400 ft-lbs of torque fairly easily.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It will bolt right in with little modification.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Eldowr will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Desk Sgt
Name: Donavon
Eldowr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It will bolt right in with little modification.

Go with an old enough 4BT and you don't have to worry about wiring other than the starter Just weld the block to the frame, what's the worst that could happen?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by god View Post
It isn't that hard to build a vehicle to get 40-50 mpg. What IS difficult is to build a vehicle that will get 40-50 mpg at 70 mph.

In addition, they offer NO EVIDENCE or SPECIFICATIONS until AFTER you've signed up and handed over your money. Look also at their "writeup" -- it reeks of fly-by-night get rich quick scam. Their whole schpeal is too long, talk of conspiracies, designed to enrage.... excessive use of the american flag (favicon, seriously?). I'm not against the american flag, but this isn't suitable and reeks of scam.

Also a point of curiosity... say "shade tree" 10 times fast. Sound like "Shady"?

I don't trust these guys one bit. They probably can get you 40-50 mpg, but it's going to be such that you'll NEVER want to actually implement it.
but they have a company truck, they must be legit
Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
$50 just for access to the website? for plans to DIY?

pretty shady

you see what i did there^