LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

My truck has a tapping noise.... Some say this is normal?

Old 09-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Nolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nolazach's Tacoma Gallery
My truck has a tapping noise.... Some say this is normal?

From the beginning I thought my 4.0 L v6 was noisy.
I chalked that up to being "a Toyota thing", as I remember a friends Camry also having a loud engine.

But now there is a noticeable Diesel sound. Reading around on the net I have seen this problem be called normal, and have seen others say it was fixed with a spark plug and oil change/flush. I know I need an oil change as I just ordered filters from eBay (Toyota brand). But I guess I'll replace the plugs to see. I just hope and pray I'm not looking at needing a top overhaul. I mean at 106,000 miles a Tacoma is still like new.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
40 year old teenager
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Mine only has 2500 miles & sounds like that....no worries.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Nolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I went out just now to check it with the stethoscope and don't hear anything beyond the normal loud engine sound.

Its strange. But if it was a mechanical problem, I would hear the noise constantly.
The service records show a tune-up a little over 10,000 miles ago. Previous owner had them changed at 29,650, 61,380, and 90,750.. All work ever done on the truck was done at two Toyota dealerships. I have all the records. Cleanest vehicle I ever bought used. But I'm used to much quieter engines.

Maybe I need hood insulation...
Old 09-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
holy crap the area around that thing is where the noise is loudest; thanks..
Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, there are things you can do to quiet it down.

There is also an exhaust manifold update you can have done while under warranty. Looks like you are past that. If it were me I would drive it and be happy.

This engine does not have hydraulic lifters and will always have some valve noise.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #8

what was wrong with the exhaust manifold in the first place?

I need to look at an engine diagram, I have no idea whats inside the heads.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I think they replace the manifolds with ones made out of thicker metal. The sound is being transmitted through the thin exhaust manifolds.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #10

would aftermarket headers fix this or make it worse?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolazach View Post
would aftermarket headers fix this or make it worse?
No idea on the sound, the question I would be asking is how do you reinstall the two pre cats that are part of the manifolds. And would it pass smog if you pulled them out for good. I know it would set a check engine light.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #12

oh probably with a O2 emulator flash on the PCM. We don't have emissions testing..

But I'd rather keep it stock, just wish there was a better fix for the ticking noise.