Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

I think my gas pedal got stuck today

Old 09-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #41
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaMan07 View Post
Thanks for most responses. The rest of yall are being d**kheads. Yeah i plan to sue Toyota...... Some of yall are acting like since im 17 that i was being not being responsable and being dumb. Sorry i hit the gas and it took off and i almost hit a brick building the size of a football field. And yes, more than likely it was driver error, but who knows(oh wait yall know everything since you read toyota blogs all day). But i personally have drove 13xxx miles on it and nothing like that has ever happened. cant wait to sue toyota for it......

I would love to see the progress on this, if you don't mind. I'd like to learn how you do this and how it turns out, if you may.

What is the first step to take on this? I wonder if the truck's computer has it logged on how much gas the truck was given at the time and how hard the brakes were applied as well as how hard the steering was turned to avoid the wall.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #42
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i got about 15ft and tried to swurve away from a fence and went up a curb on the right and torn up that grass then spun out 90* to the left and tore thru some baby bushes
Pictures of the carnage or it didn't happen.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #43
TacomaMan07 has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaMan07 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Chandler
TacomaMan07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by god View Post
Hey OP: I don't think that anyone was actually flaming you. No need to get pissed over any of this. From my perspective, the general gist of it is that as a young driver, even if you're being responsible, a lack of overall experience driving may lead you more easily to react less than perfectly under certain stressful situations. I.e., see a hot girl on the sidewalk, run into the parked car ahead of you. Something gets snagged up, just hold on and try not to die (rather than turning the key to "off" and hitting the brakes). It doesn't mean that you're driving dangerously, just that you're inexperienced.

Reckless driving isn't the only reason why insurance is so expensive for kids. It does take experience to know exactly how to react in every situation, and that is something that builds up with time.... and yes, with close calls. In every close call where you don't die, you learn a little bit about how to deal with it better the next time, and the next time, you don't panic quite as much.

On top of all this, for all of us who are experienced, we ALL get to experience this weird situation.... the "this doesn't feel safe" experience, combined with the "it felt perfectly safe when I was 17" feeling -- doesn't necessarily mean that we TRY the experience, but that we think about it and realize that it wouldn't be a good idea. There are probably things that you do, that feel perfectly safe and within your ability to control, that aren't nearly as safe as you think they are. Things that, in 10-15 years, you WILL feel are reckless and dangerous. I don't mean this as an insult by any means... just that at this stage, you are PROGRAMMED to test your boundaries in order to determine your limits. Totally normal, and it will go away as your limitations are found.
thanks for the response. I've been thinking that it was my foot that got stuck, probably behind the brake pedal. But im not too sure. this afternoon, while sitting in the drivers seat, i messed with my gas and brake pedal (wiht the engine off of course) and i figured that my foot probably got stuck either behind the brake or i just had my foot at an awkward angle and couldnt move it over in time(if that makes sense). i didnt even think to kill the engine. i was just so worried i was going to wreck it bad again on the same side i had just got fixed ($3500 of damage, and paid outta pocket). back in April Alabama had deadly tornades (200+ killed) and i backed into a huge tree when i was hurrying home because the sirens were going off. all i was thinking about was "shit i just this truck repaired 2wks ago, this cant be happening). deff driver error.
But what do i need to do? I know the title is "gas pedal stuck" but it was driver error, should i still take it to toyota? or is that useless? I bought my truck at Texas Toyota last may(2010) and they had already done the callback(s).
And youre so right about looking at a hot girl and hitting a car lol. This morning i passed a guy i know who drives a 1st gen Taco and he just added a bull bar and HIDs and i looked at it as i drove past him(thinking "damn that looks good") and when i looked up i was about to rearend someone becasue the light turned yellow.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #44
TacomaMan07 has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaMan07 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Pictures of the carnage or it didn't happen.
i work tomorrow. so i will
Old 09-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #45
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Chandler

Here's the deal.
It's up to you but I feel your info post is more than likely the way it happened.

However.

If you really want to pursue this and for a piece of mind then call your local dealer and tell them you think you had a "unintended acceleration".

We take this very serious. When a vehicle comes in for this it's not a" yea right" and off you go. There is a shitload of paperwork that I need to do along with snapshot scans of your systems. then pictures. Checking brakes etc.sent all to Toyota with a case number. It's a big production with lots of questions you have to answer honestly. Don't move your mats or your junk on the floor or anything.

BTW: Never have we seen anything mechanical or electrical to cause this.
There are way to many backup systems to double check whats happening.

I know you had the crap scared out of you and i feel for you.

Hang in there..
Old 09-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Chandler

Here's the deal.
It's up to you but I feel your info post is more than likely the way it happened.

However.

If you really want to pursue this and for a piece of mind then call your local dealer and tell them you think you had a "unintended acceleration".

We take this very serious. When a vehicle comes in for this it's not a" yea right" and off you go. There is a shitload of paperwork that I need to do along with snapshot scans of your systems. then pictures. Checking brakes etc.sent all to Toyota with a case number. It's a big production with lots of questions you have to answer honestly. Don't move your mats or your junk on the floor or anything.

I know you had the crap scared out of you and i feel for you.

Hang in there..
Okay. I appreciate it. It will have to be a week or two forsure. but How long does that whole process take? A few hours or what? Thanks a lot.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #47
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
thanks for the response. I've been thinking that it was my foot that got stuck, probably behind the brake pedal. But im not too sure. this afternoon, while sitting in the drivers seat, i messed with my gas and brake pedal (wiht the engine off of course) and i figured that my foot probably got stuck either behind the brake or i just had my foot at an awkward angle and couldnt move it over in time(if that makes sense). i didnt even think to kill the engine. i was just so worried i was going to wreck it bad again on the same side i had just got fixed ($3500 of damage, and paid outta pocket). back in April Alabama had deadly tornades (200+ killed) and i backed into a huge tree when i was hurrying home because the sirens were going off. all i was thinking about was "shit i just this truck repaired 2wks ago, this cant be happening). deff driver error.
But what do i need to do? I know the title is "gas pedal stuck" but it was driver error, should i still take it to toyota? or is that useless? I bought my truck at Texas Toyota last may(2010) and they had already done the callback(s).
And youre so right about looking at a hot girl and hitting a car lol. This morning i passed a guy i know who drives a 1st gen Taco and he just added a bull bar and HIDs and i looked at it as i drove past him(thinking "damn that looks good") and when i looked up i was about to rearend someone becasue the light turned yellow.
Q F T

Quote:

Good info!!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #48
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Okay. I appreciate it. It will have to be a week or two forsure. but How long does that whole process take? A few hours or what? Thanks a lot.
The best way for us honestly is if you could leave it for the morning or afternoon. The reason is between getting pics and the truck in etc it's a lot of things that need to happen. Plus calling toyota and talking on the phone.
They will ask you about 10 or 12 questions. THey need time to check the truck over, get the readings from the truck, upload the documents to toyota.
then call toyota. double check the readings. yada yada yada.. hehehe it's a big deal.
But a few hours would be about right.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #49

Quote:
The best way for us honestly is if you could leave it for the morning or afternoon. The reason is between getting pics and the truck in etc it's a lot of things that need to happen. Plus calling toyota and talking on the phone.
They will ask you about 10 or 12 questions. THey need time to check the truck over, get the readings from the truck, upload the documents to toyota.
then call toyota. double check the readings. yada yada yada.. hehehe it's a big deal.
But a few hours would be about right.
Well this sounds really odd, but i really dont want my parents to know about it. So could I go take it by myself, the truck is under my mom and dads name im sure? I called my brother(24) right after it happened and he said i probably shouldnt tell them because they wont believe me because ive lied twice about my truck getting damaged. Once i turned to sharp at night at dented up my door leaving a friends house(no i was not drunk or anything, just didnt look good) and the other was back in april when AL got hammered with tornadoes, i backed into a tree leaving for home when the torando sirens went off and i told them it was "storm damage" lol but it kinda was lol. But as you can see, there is a good chance they wont believe thats what really happened, but maybe they will because there was no damage.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Well this sounds really odd, but i really dont want my parents to know about it. So could I go take it by myself, the truck is under my mom and dads name im sure? I called my brother(24) right after it happened and he said i probably shouldnt tell them because they wont believe me because ive lied twice about my truck getting damaged. Once i turned to sharp at night at dented up my door leaving a friends house(no i was not drunk or anything, just didnt look good) and the other was back in april when AL got hammered with tornadoes, i backed into a tree leaving for home when the torando sirens went off and i told them it was "storm damage" lol but it kinda was lol. But as you can see, there is a good chance they wont believe thats what really happened, but maybe they will because there was no damage.
Be that is it may in your previous adventures, I'm not going to judge.
But YOU would have to be the one talked to at the dealership because it happened to you. What ever you decide to do I'll help you from here. But remember it's not your truck but you have the responsibility to inform your parents of something like this. If you think you got your foot stuck then that's it. I can't tell you what to do but the procedure is there to be used if necessary.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #51
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
well this was certainly a fun read
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
well this was certainly a fun read
i was thinkin the same thing earlier haha just glad someone enjoyed my rant and all.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #53

So are you going to confront Toyota?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
So are you going to confront Toyota?
im suing.... lol just kidding. But i will probably take it the next time i go to my dads. So probably next weekend, the 24th i think? I will probably drop it off that mornin then go to Blazer day!!!! (Univ of Ala. in Birmingham) lol
Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #55
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe they'll give you a Prius in trade
Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
Maybe they'll give you a Prius in trade
not sure if serious.... hahaha anyways a southern boy in a Prius?! haha thats funny right there
Old 09-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #58
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well about 30 mins ago i got in my truck to leave work. It poured very hard for about 30mins about 1.5hrs before i left work. Well i got it started and didnt pull off for about 45secs or so and i did hit the gas a little harder. The tires skretched and it tooooooook off. i got about 15ft and tried to swurve away from a fence and went up a curb on the right and torn up that grass then spun out 90* to the left and tore thru...
Are you 70 or older?