Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Limited Slip help....any ideas?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
k2rider is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
k2rider's Tacoma Gallery
Limited Slip help....any ideas?

Not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I just bought a 2011 TRD CCLB. The dealer had pre-installed a Ready Lift, 17x9 Pro Comp wheels and I now have 285/70R17 Toyo Open Country AT tires as well.

My problem is there is this ONE on ramp that I take every day to get on the freeway. It's a sweeping (not a 90 degree, sharp) right turn that also banks right before straightening out. The type that could be really fun in a sports car...you get the idea.

Unfortunately for me, when I am maybe 60% into the turn, the right front end 'shudders' and the truck wants to pull back to the left a bit. At the same time, the car starts beeping and the limited slip symbols flash on the dash for 2-3 seconds. The 'shudder' feels and sounds like when your anti-lock brakes kick in. It all goes away once the ramp straightens out.

I'm guessing that the larger tire is rubbing on something but I'll be darned if I can find it. It doesn't help that it only occurs on this one on-ramp. That being said, I can't think of another downhill, sweeping to the right, banked to the right ramp I take.

Any ideas? I'm taking it in on saturday but unless it's something obvious, I don't know how they might be able to replicate the problem since the ramp is nowhere near the dealer.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Read the VSC section of your owners manual. If you got larger tires and a lift you need to have the dealer reset it.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Your VSC is engaging .

As said above the skid control ecu needs to be reset
Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
x3^^^

Simply put- VSC uses the ABS system. You're hearing/feeling the ABS system actuating to slow the vehicle down and get it back in control.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
k2rider is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
k2rider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrysam View Post
x3^^^

Simply put- VSC uses the ABS system. You're hearing/feeling the ABS system actuating to slow the vehicle down and get it back in control.
Thanks, I hope it's that simple. the only part that worries me is I'm not going that fast and I'm not *out* of control so there is no reason for it to engage to get me back *in* control. I appreciate everybody's insight and advice.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
Thanks, I hope it's that simple. the only part that worries me is I'm not going that fast and I'm not *out* of control so there is no reason for it to engage to get me back *in* control. I appreciate everybody's insight and advice.
It thinks you're out of control because based on stock tire size, the speed differential from side to side is different with larger diameter tires. Get it reset and you'll be fine. Don't you love when your truck thinks for you?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
Yeah. Not put you in panic mode but you should be worried. I've heard and read some interesting horror stories from guys when their VSC kicks in at the wrong time. Hopefully the dealer steps up.