Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Understanding relays...

Old 09-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Understanding relays...

Hoping someone can help me wrap my head around automotive relays. I'm wanting a relay that will have obviously a 12v input and a ground, with one output that can be activated by 1 of 2 inputs (one, the other, or both). Any help is appreciated, thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Hoping someone can help me wrap my head around automotive relays. I'm wanting a relay that will have obviously a 12v input and a ground, with one output that can be activated by 1 of 2 inputs (one, the other, or both). Any help is appreciated, thanks
All relays can do that.

Can you be specific as to what you actually want to do? What is the application?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
All relays can do that.

Can you be specific as to what you actually want to do? What is the application?
Application is to the the DRL mod without spending 50 bucks + shipping on inflated relays. I'll have the output going to the center lights, and the inputs coming from the parking lights and some sort of accessory light, ie radio/ignition/etc...
Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
My Taco didn't come with fogs and I wired my fogs to running lights and use them as daytime running lights. $10 relay in my mod.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...hout-fogs.html
If by center lights you mean your turning indicators I don't know how it can be done.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Application is to the the DRL mod without spending 50 bucks + shipping on inflated relays. I'll have the output going to the center lights, and the inputs coming from the parking lights and some sort of accessory light, ie radio/ignition/etc...
Don't be offended, but if you are asking us to help you understand relays, you are probably going to wish you just spent the 60 bucks and bought the factory stuff.

I have a pretty decent handle on electrical wiring, and when I sit and try to figure out how to mimic the factory drl flasher with regular relays, my head starts hurting.

If you can figure out how to do it, then much respect for you. I will be buying the kit when I get around to doing mine.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Don't be offended, but if you are asking us to help you understand relays, you are probably going to wish you just spent the 60 bucks and bought the factory stuff.

I have a pretty decent handle on electrical wiring, and when I sit and try to figure out how to mimic the factory drl flasher with regular relays, my head starts hurting.

If you can figure out how to do it, then much respect for you. I will be buying the kit when I get around to doing mine.
I figured out a cheap way to do it, but it makes the middle lights mimic the outer parking lights, which isn't ideal. If you get a basic bosch relay from your local auto parts store, you basically just wire your positive and negative, output is to the middle light, and the switching wire comes from the positive feed on the parking lights. But parking lights don't act the way drl's should act, so I pry wont be doing it.