Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

sounds like a belt squealing

Old 10-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
ERMAHGERD
DubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thayer
DubVtundy's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a belt squealing

ok mods dont know where to put this but move it where it needs to be plz. but my problem is i have a squealing noise coming from my truck that sounds like a belt squealing. i know its not the belt bcz i can put my truck in neutral and turn the truck off and drift it and it still is making this noise. i was hoping that it would be maybe a brake pad sticking so i changed the brake pads and it still does it. so then i thought maybe that the drive shaft needed some grease, put some in it and still squealing. does anyone know of what this could be or has anyone ever had this problem? i am totally stumped and so is my mechanic, we have no idea what this could be? someone plz help
Old 10-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
check your belt for cracks first off, that's a sign it's time to replace it. if no cracks on it, it's good to go and you could confidently rule that out as a possibility.
i hope you're able to find out what the issue is, goodluck !

cracks would look like this.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
carrier bearing.

Dust shield over the rotor.

thats all I got
Old 10-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Tylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud of
Name: Tyler
Tylerm5000's Tacoma Gallery
Throwout bearing? Does it stop when you press the clutch in? Otherwise it could be your idler pulley, water pump, power steering. anything that moves could have a bad bearing. Even the alternator.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerm5000 View Post
Throwout bearing? Does it stop when you press the clutch in? Otherwise it could be your idler pulley, water pump, power steering. anything that moves could have a bad bearing. Even the alternator.
he has an auto

OP just noticed you have a large lift and tires. you sure its not a wheel bearing or maybe some suspension joints?
Old 10-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
If you can put it in neutral and coast with the engine off then it is in the drivetrain. More than likely something is rubbing somewhere.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2010taco View Post
how can i see if its the carrier bearing? it does sound like its coming from underneath the truck at some points
crawl under there and see if it has more than like 1/4" of play when you wiggle the drive shaft.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
braaap

if its not that I bet its the dust shield that is no the back of the brake rotor.

Just one question: does it squeel when stopped and the engine idling? or is it only when moving?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
The dust shield is the stamped steel plate behind the brake rotor. My guess is carrier bearing too unless it sounds a little more like fingernails on a chalkboard. If that is the case, u-joints, but any mechanic should pick that up right away.

2WD mode right?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white2010taco View Post
ok mods dont know where to put this but move it where it needs to be plz. but my problem is i have a squealing noise coming from my truck that sounds like a belt squealing. i know its not the belt bcz i can put my truck in neutral and turn the truck off and drift it and it still is making this noise. i was hoping that it would be maybe a brake pad sticking so i changed the brake pads and it still does it. so then i thought maybe that the drive shaft needed some grease, put some in it and still squealing. does anyone know of what this could be or has anyone ever had this problem? i am totally stumped and so is my mechanic, we have no idea what this could be? someone plz help
Why couldnt it be a belt at idle? idler bearing/belt slip?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
Why couldnt it be a belt at idle? idler bearing/belt slip?
because he said it only does it from 15mph and up.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
check bearings then. even ac compressor spooling down, its bearing.