Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Bought Tacoma with no Key Fobs

Old 10-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
GO JETS GO
LMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
LMR's Tacoma Gallery
Bought Tacoma with no Key Fobs

I recently bought an 08 Tacoma Double cab short box, but it only came with one key and no key fobs. I live in Canada, but the Truck was imported for the United States. Toyota dealership quoted me $214 for each key fob and $50 for a chipped key. Also $40 to program each fob.
Could someone tell me a cheaper way to get a couple key fobs? eBay perhaps? Thank you..
Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I only got one remote with mine. Have not bought a new one yet, but have seen them on Ebay for cheap, used. There is a programming procedure in the owner's manual for the remotes.

The keys are not owner programable like the remotes. Some members on here have said you can get keys cut and programmed at ACE hardware. I wound up buying factory Toyota keys on Ebay from Franke Toyota in San Diego for about half what the local dealer wanted. I then got them cut at the local locksmith and took the truck to the dealer for programming. The programming was a half hour of labor. Get as many spares as you think you will need and get them all done at once so you only pay that programming fee one time.

If they only want 50 bucks for the key programmed, that's a deal! The remotes are way too high, and there is no need to pay for the programming. If I am reading your post right, sounds like you should have the dealer do the key from start to finish and go on your own for the remotes.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
You can definitely find the remotes themselves for cheap online, used of course. Programming the remotes is easy; as Joe said, the instructions are all over the place on the web.

To my knowledge, our keys do not have immobilizer chips in them. I had two spare keys for my 2007 that were just your standard metal keys that you can get at Lowe's for a few bucks, or at the dealership for a little more.

Fink
Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
I too need a remote n key when I bought my truck it only came with one key n remote I thought bout buying a cheap remote on eBay and programming it this way if I accidentally lock my keys in my truck I have an extra remote to unlock it instead of asking for use of a slim Jim which wont work anyway
Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
I bleed Black and Gold
cheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant future

Name: Adam
cheehab's Tacoma Gallery
I've bought some fobs from eBay before- several for a Subaru and one for my Tacoma. They send directions and programming takes just a minute to do. Freeprogramremotes is the eBay store I've used. Would definitely do it again. Dealership prices are ridiculous.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Is it a standard price normally to get the keys programmed at a dealership after being cut at say Lowes or ace?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjm10 View Post
Is it a standard price normally to get the keys programmed at a dealership after being cut at say Lowes or ace?
Again, to my knowledge, you don't need to get the actual keys programmed. The only thing you need to get programmed is the remote, and this is free if yo use the instructions that are all over the web.

Fink
Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #8

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm myb ill ask ace to cut me a key anyway n try it (nonprogrammed key) if not what should I be worried bout what's $5 or whatever it is.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
Again, to my knowledge, you don't need to get the actual keys programmed. The only thing you need to get programmed is the remote, and this is free if yo use the instructions that are all over the web.

Fink
My 2006 v6 has chipped keys for sure. I had the keys cut and then tried to start the truck and it would not start till I had the keys programmed.

I have the flashing "car with a key in it" under the radio. It's my understanding that if you have that light you have chipped keys. My company truck does not have the light (09 4cyl) and I have a standard metal key that starts the truck.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Quote:
My dealer charges a half hour labor to program any number of keys all at once. The ECU only has space for a certain number of keys. If there are lost keys taking up space in the memory and they need to clear the ECU memory and start over, then they charge a full hour's labor. They have to "call the mothership" to wipe the ECU's key memory and start from scratch. You might want that done anyway if you bought used and are concerned about other keys floating around.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMR View Post
I recently bought an 08 Tacoma Double cab short box, but it only came with one key and no key fobs. I live in Canada, but the Truck was imported for the United States. Toyota dealership quoted me $214 for each key fob and $50 for a chipped key. Also $40 to program each fob.
Could someone tell me a cheaper way to get a couple key fobs? eBay perhaps? Thank you..
how about them jets huh???
Old 10-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #13
GO JETS GO
LMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
LMR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
how about them jets huh???
Actually, I live in Winnipeg and went to the Jets home opener. Awesome!!

Thanks for the help guys, I will buy a fob from eBay and program it myself. I'm pretty sure I have the chipped key because I also have the car with the key in it flashing under my radio.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
My 2006 v6 has chipped keys for sure. I had the keys cut and then tried to start the truck and it would not start till I had the keys programmed.

I have the flashing "car with a key in it" under the radio. It's my understanding that if you have that light you have chipped keys. My company truck does not have the light (09 4cyl) and I have a standard metal key that starts the truck.
My 2007 had that light and I could use the cheapo $8 keys (rubbery top, metal teeth) form the dealership and they were never programmed.

Weird.

Fink
Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #15

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post

I have the light w a key on it too I believe ill have to check n then I guess c bout ordering a cheaper key off eBay have it cut then take it to get programmed.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #16

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
My 2007 had that light and I could use the cheapo $8 keys (rubbery top, metal teeth) form the dealership and they were never programmed.

Weird.

Fink

I still am gonna try cause I believe u I just hope it works on my truck lol save me some cash
Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #17
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I still am gonna try cause I believe u I just hope it works on my truck lol save me some cash
I'm glad - definitely let us know the outcome.

I'm curious to see if my memory is as bad as it seems it may be.

Fink
Old 10-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #18

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Memory u ain't much older than me, well nevermind I guess I could c where ur coming from but mine was lol
Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #19
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Memory u ain't much older than me, well nevermind I guess I could c where ur coming from but mine was lol

Fink
Old 10-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #20
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
i dont know if anyone posted, but www.ekeylessremotes.com ....then take your key to get it cut at a local hardware store... then just take the key and the fob to get it reprogrammed by a dealer... tell them that your key fob and stuff suddenly stopped working.. they should do it for free ....if they are nice..

they did mine when i took my truck in for the scheduled maintenance