1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's the best condition to change diff fluid?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Stout890, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Oct 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    Stout890

Stout890 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    Warm? Cold?

Basically I have a diff that I got from a yard and I'm prepping it to be installed on my truck. Can I change the diff fluid ass it is now since it has been sitting? Or would it be a wast of gear oil and should I wait till I install it and do it after I drive it and mix it all up? Dot would it be good if it was changed now while all the nasty has settled to the bottom?

2. Oct 18, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Huh? Don't you need the pumpkin to be drained for the diff swap to take place?

3. Oct 18, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    nope i have the whole axle im swapping. sorry for the confusion.

4. Oct 18, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Don't run it with the current oil. If it was me I would change it before you drive it and then change it again after a hundred miles of so, to be sure you get all the gunk out.

5. Oct 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    x2. just put in 2 quarts, go inside and drink a beer while you let it run down the axle and settle, then put in the last quart.

6. Oct 18, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    ok guys thanks for that info. i will be straining the old diff fluid as well to check the condition of the gears, what is an acceptable amount of metal shavings to have in a diff that has around 65k miles on it and is most likely on its factory fluid?

7. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    lets say 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch on the magnet. it will be kind of pasty like a thick lotion cause the bits are so fine. if it's a lot more than that or there are full metal chunks is when you know there could be a problem.

8. Oct 22, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    It was about an 8th or quarter inch and like a metallic past just like you said. The pluid was black and no big pieces. Thanks for the info guys

Products Discussed in

To Top