Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Could Axle Wrap be the root of my problems?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Could Axle Wrap be the root of my problems?

Hello,

I fixed my driveshaft problems some time ago. I replaced all U Joints and the Carrier Bearing. The driveshaft still had some play where it joins with the transmission. I think it was normal.

Anyhow, truck ran great, no sounds, etc. Forward to today, it is starting to sound again. It is like a "tack tack tack tack" sometimes when accelerating. Once you start braking it is gone. It does not do it all the time, so I guess I am still "safe".

Anyhow, I have noticed that my leafs are pretty sad... as in, downwards. I need to replace them. Anyhow, I am getting some axle wrap now and then.

Could the axle wrap be what is damaging my driveshaft components?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well... it is doing it less now. When it does it however, it gets on my nerves. Sounds like an old truck... Oddly enough, it usually does it more at low speeds.

Shit... I might have to take out the f*&%* driveshaft assembly out again.

Only other play I noticed that indeed is causing noises are the shocks, but that will change soon with 5100 or OME setup when time permits.

Anyhow... if anyone got any ideas... please do post.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
AlaskanTaco will become famous soon enough

AlaskanTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If it goes away when you let off the gas, (unload) then it is more then likely a pinion bearing. Noises like this is like telling a doctor, "I had a cough last week. Please diagnose me." A video next time please?

AlaskanTaco
Old 11-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
Pavement Princess
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Liquid I View Post
Hello,
It is like a "tack tack tack tack" sometimes when accelerating. Once you start braking it is gone. It does not do it all the time, so I guess I am still "safe".

Thanks!
I had this years ago with a big lift Jeep....turned out to be worn U joints.....which is a common problem with driveshafts at extreme angles. Good thing is....u joints are cheap & relatively easy to swap out yourself.......worth a try.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanTaco View Post
If it goes away when you let off the gas, (unload) then it is more then likely a pinion bearing. Noises like this is like telling a doctor, "I had a cough last week. Please diagnose me." A video next time please?

AlaskanTaco
It is not likely I will be able to produce a video for this. Sorry. I will look into the pinion bearing matter though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
I had this years ago with a big lift Jeep....turned out to be worn U joints.....which is a common problem with driveshafts at extreme angles. Good thing is....u joints are cheap & relatively easy to swap out yourself.......worth a try.
All U joints and the Carrier Bearing have been replaced not so long ago. I lubricate them very frequently too.