Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Hood Reinforcement as Theft Deterrent

Old 11-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Hood Reinforcement as Theft Deterrent

A friend of mine just sent me this thread from a 4Runner forum he's on, and it really got me thinking about adding some metal reinforcement to the underside of the hood, right above the battery. Anyone here done anything like this?

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...g-smarter.html
Old 11-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If they're going to cut a hole in the hood, they really want your shit. You don't need metal reinforcing, you need to reconsider where you park your truck.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
He needed a backup battery.

live via
Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
He needed a backup battery.

live via
I agree and that was my first thought, but for someone who already has an alarm that doesn't offer battery backup, I see this as a much easier solution than a whole new alarm.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Wild Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
you need to reconsider where you park your truck.
That's just naive; no matter where you park you have to worry about theft if you don't have a secure garage to park in.

I live on 3 acres in a house that is completely hidden by trees down a long driveway and not visible from the road. My best friend is a LEO in the city I live in and gets called to reports of car prowlers frequently, and I am in an area where I am surrounded by multi-million dollar homes. Unfortunately the house I live in is old and doesn't have a garage, only carport, so we do have to worry regardless of how upscale the area is.

There is no better place I could park my vehicles without a secure garage.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
That's just naive; no matter where you park you have to worry about theft if you don't have a secure garage to park in.
Not really, that's pretty excessive damage just to steal a stereo and not something that could have been done quickly and quietly. Motion lights help deter people from lingering around cars if you're in the boonies and window tint to stop people from being able to just look in and see what you've got to steal.

I guess my point was, if someone's going to try that hard to steal something, they're pretty dedicated and are going to get what they're after. When it comes down to it, that's what insurance is for. Even if they didn't take the stereo, I'll bet that's still over $1,000 worth of damage there. The reinforcing plate might make them try harder and do even more body damage, like cut in from the side.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Wild Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Motion lights help deter people from lingering around cars if you're in the boonies and window tint to stop people from being able to just look in and see what you've got to steal.
I have both motion lights and dark tint. The OP went on to say that the perp unscrewed the lights on the side of his house.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i think thats a once in a lifetime chance that would happen to you...

i would kill.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
I have both motion lights and dark tint. The OP went on to say that the perp unscrewed the lights on the side of his house.

Whoa... yeah, not much you can do about that. Someone knew exactly what was in that truck and how to get it.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
That was an inside job guaranteed. Probably a friend of a friend or a neighbor across the street.