Notices

Weird noise coming from front driver side wheel hub

Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Livin' the taco life
jcemitte is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
jcemitte's Tacoma Gallery
Weird noise coming from front driver side wheel hub

Ok so when I accelerate to 35mph I get a slight metal to metal rubbing sound, you can tell that the surfaces are smooth but there is friction so they make a sound like wwwooongh........wwwooongh.......wwwooongh (sorry if thatís dumb but its the best I could personify the sound and I was not able to record in due to wind noise)

Hereís the kicker. It only happens from 35 mph to 52mph and the sound does not get faster as speed increases. It stays constant and then at about 52ish it stops. I've gotten out and felt my hub and it didnít feel warmer than usual. My first thought was wheel bearing but I'm starting to think thatís not the problem. What do you guys think?

tl;dr
I have a funny noise coming from my front driver side wheel hub, please help...
Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Livin' the taco life

OK so ive talked to some mechanics and one said he had a ford that did the same thing and it ended up being his rear differential. he said that the axle seal had failed and the was water in his diff. he drained and cleaned up his diff, put some lucas in and the noise stopped. his theory was that it was creating a harmonic that was resnonating in such a way as it sounded lik it was coming from the front of the truck. interesting idea so now at lunch time i got my buddy the works in the shop to help me check the hub and check the diff. fingers crossed as i hav to make a three hour trip over the hill tonight. talk about last minute shit
Old 11-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Livin' the taco life

problem solved. i was spinning hookers in the dirt about 6-7 months ago and i blew my power steering pump. come too find out that pump is whining at a certain rpm range so im assuming just swap out my P/S pump and it should fix it.