Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

really really bad vibration

Old 11-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
vaspeedjunkie is on a distinguished road
vaspeedjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
really really bad vibration

Ok i just want to say hi first. My name is brandon and I have a 06 tacoma prerunner. The truck is bone stock and I love it. Well i noticed a driveline vibration a couple weeks ago but it seem to go away so I didnt think anything of it. Well a couple days ago my wife was driving it and say man this truck is running really bad. well I get in it and the vibration is awful! I feel like im on my riding lawnmower lol. It vibrates no matter what the speed is. I can be running at 55mph and throw it in Netural and the virbration goes away. Im thinking it might be the u joints or carrier bearing. Its so bad we're not even driving it right now until we figure it out. Do the u joint or carrier bearing really go out at 75k miles on these trucks? we have had it since it was new and this is the first problem we have had with it. hoping you guys could help. remember it is bone stock access cab 2wd automatic. thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
so it goes away when u put it in nuetral.... is it rotational like, with speed does the frequency increase? check ur u joints, and carrier bearing. if its so bad, it should be easy to find what the problem is
Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
You are supposed to tighten the driveshaft bolts and lubricate the U-joints every year or 10K. Was that ever done?
Old 11-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
so it goes away when u put it in nuetral.... is it rotational like, with speed does the frequency increase? check ur u joints, and carrier bearing. if its so bad, it should be easy to find what the problem is
its seems to increase with rpm. I just dont want to start replacing stuff and it not be the problem.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
You are supposed to tighten the driveshaft bolts and lubricate the U-joints every year or 10K. Was that ever done?
bolts are tight.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
if it goes away when put in nuetral tho thats weird. cuz everything is still spinning trans back...
Old 11-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
He's taking the pressure off the joints in neut. So they are kinda floating.
If it's that bad you should be able to find the problem fairly easy.
Chock the tires and put it in neut (not running) and crawl under it and start shaking and twisting the drive shaft. Check the joints as you do this for slop.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
He's taking the pressure off the joints in neut. So they are kinda floating.
If it's that bad you should be able to find the problem fairly easy.
Chock the tires and put it in neut (not running) and crawl under it and start shaking and twisting the drive shaft. Check the joints as you do this for slop.
ok mike i will check that out, thanks. also it looks like the weights are still there but who knows, they could have fell off. im just trying to figure it out before i just start throwing money at it.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
also i checked the the carrier bearing and it looks good.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspeedjunkie View Post
ok mike i will check that out, thanks. also it looks like the weights are still there but who knows, they could have fell off. im just trying to figure it out before i just start throwing money at it.
Absolutely Brandon
If you don't see anything get another set of eyes to look at it.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
PreRunners have sealed u-joints, they can't be greased.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
OP, my first u-joint went bad at 30k and the second at 85k. What u describe sounds like a bad u-joint, do u hear any squeaking ?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
OP, my first u-joint went bad at 30k and the second at 85k. What u describe sounds like a bad u-joint, do u hear any squeaking ?
yes i hear squeaking and clunking sometimes.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Absolutely Brandon
If you don't see anything get another set of eyes to look at it.
so ur leaning towards the u-joints being bad mike?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspeedjunkie View Post
yes i hear squeaking and clunking sometimes.
HEHEHE my son texted me yesterday and his truck is starting to squeak.

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow. So much for my day of rest lol

With the squeaking like Chris mentioned i'd be looking there yes.