1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Viper 5901 and.....HELP!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by FireCane, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    FireCane

FireCane [OP] Member

Member:
    Athens,Ga
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD
    Chrome step bars and Chrome bully bar on front
    Ok.... I want a remote starter system for my Taco that i recently bought and from the research I've done (mostly from the help of TW, thanks everyone) I've narrowed it down to the Viper 5901 system but still confused about everything I'll need.

Are all parts included w the Viper 5901 purchase?
    How much is the whole thing going to cost me?
    And where's the best place to purchase the system?

Thanks TW community!

2. Nov 7, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    H0LLYW00D

H0LLYW00D Well-Known Member

Member:
    As far as i know everything is included, I have had a 5901 and currently getting a 5902 installed. They normally charge a few bucks for shop supplies but nothing major. They are about 4hrs or so to install but it depends on just how the truck wants to play and if you are adding any other sensors or any custom programing. I by all my electircal that I can from a shop near where I live, they are the only ones that touch the truck besides toyota, and even there I have one guy that works on my truck.

3. Nov 7, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    Balien

Balien Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma auto, long box in red
    lighted 4x4 switch, python alarm/starter, weather tech matts, bug and rock deflector, , kuda cell phone mount in matched grey. DMV2 Tires, Bilstein 5100 lift, Icon RXT leafs. Sprayed the frame with Rust Check All the time.
    Make sure they are soldering the connections. The crimp splices work for a few years but when they get corrosion in them they fail. Look for a professional installer and ask if they have done a Tacoma before. You will need an immobilizer bypass module in addition to your allarm/starter of choice. I suggest the Model pkall works good for me. When you get the truck back inspect the truck for incorrect installation of removed panels it's common.

-Check your blower fan works when started with FOB(sometimes they don't hook up second accessory wire).
    -The parking lights should flash when you lock and unlock the doors.
    The horn and a siren should go off when you set off the alarm.
    -The engine should cut out when you press the brake when started with Key FOB(safety feature).

Make sure you get the manuals from them for re-programming the Key FOB and Viper module as you may want to change some settings. I programed my fob to be locked out unless i hit function and unlock first so It cannot be started by accident.

4. Nov 7, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    Good helpful post for the OP +1

5. Nov 8, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    FireCane

FireCane [OP] Member

Member:
    Athens,Ga
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD
    Chrome step bars and Chrome bully bar on front
    Thanks for the help. These are some useful tips

6. Nov 8, 2011 at 7:14 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    My Viper dealer used the crimp splices :-| I didn't know any better at the time.... This was like 2-3 years ago. No problems yet. I hope I don't have any problems down the road either.

7. Nov 18, 2011 at 2:34 AM
    Balien

Balien Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Canada
    Vehicle:
    lighted 4x4 switch, python alarm/starter, weather tech matts, bug and rock deflector, , kuda cell phone mount in matched grey. DMV2 Tires, Bilstein 5100 lift, Icon RXT leafs. Sprayed the frame with Rust Check All the time.
    They all have the same brain module it's just the remotes. I installed the 5701 because LCD screens have cracked in my pocket in the past at work with my compustar 2way in my corolla.

8. Nov 18, 2011 at 3:18 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Be careful when replacing the batteries in the remotes. The battery cover plate is hard to get off and it is possible to destroy the remote body where the top plate tab is located.

To me this is a poor design. Otherwise the alarm is a great choice.

9. Jun 17, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    Monctonian66

Monctonian66 New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tayota Tacoma
    Viper car starter model 5901
    Installer took two days to install a Viper 5901. We had to pick up after hours, as we pulled in driveway we noticed the brake lights were on, we thought hmmm, a wire must be crossed. We pulled out our keys and the remote start did not work, nor did the brake lights turn off. We thought, oh well, we will come back on Monday. This all happened last night. We start driving and as we pick up speed on highway my husband notices that the truck wont stay accelerated. He pulled over to the side of the highway and smoke was coming from the front of the truck....from the locked up brakes. My truck is a 2012 Toyota Tacoma and is only 7 days old, we are sick, just sick. We had to call a tow truck and it is sitting at the Toyota dealership instead of the installer's shop because that place is not in a nice neighborhood. Gonna call the dealership in the AM to tell them not to do anything til I call my installer, I don't want Toyota to get a hold of it and void all my warranty. I could just vomit!!!! Help!!

10. Jun 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    Balien

Balien Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Canada
    Vehicle:
    Wow that's the worst installation I have ever heard of.i hope he has insurance or the repair is minor. Sounds like your brakes were somehow miss wired. Did you test it before you left his place?

11. Jun 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    Monctonian66

Monctonian66 New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tayota Tacoma
    Viper car starter model 5901
    Installer came to Toyota parking lot and discovered some control box under the dash had not been secured properly and was sitting on the brake pedal. He secured and the brake lights turned off SMS the Viper alarm and auto start worked. Truck was inspected by Toyota and there was $924 Damage. Disc brakes, pads and something else. All fixed this AM and all paid for by the installation company.

12. Aug 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    thatguy0o0

thatguy0o0 trunk monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rapid City SD
    Vehicle:
    White '13 TRD Sport.
    Yeah I have done a few of those on Tacoma's and they are actually "easier" than most new vehicles so a two day install is CRAZY on any vehicle for remote start security especially a Toyota. If that was the only thing you were having done the installer was having some trouble. lol @ the fix too. I am glad you didn't have to pay for that. Better luck next time.

Products Discussed in

To Top