Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Modified Compressed Air Tank in Truck Bed

Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Modified Compressed Air Tank in Truck Bed

I've got an old tank from an air compressor that is being scrapped. I want to mount it into the truck bed, and leave it full of compressed air at all times while driving. Basically, it would become a 'pig.' I'd hook up a schrader valve or a quick connect, and leave a hose in the toolbox or cab. I could even install a pop-off valve set at 100 PSI or so. Having air with me would allow me to air-up tires and provide compressed air when needed.

Does anyone know, first off, if this is legal? It could be dangerous in the event of an accident.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Airhorns anyone??
Old 11-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
It's legal, should be. Check your local laws to verify if you care about laws far as modifying vehicles(I don't, so anything is legal to me).

It's been done..nothing new.
How big is the tank?
Anything over 8 gallons is useless in a truck bed...waste of space IMO.

If you have any form of Fabricating skills..I'd look into putting a York comp on your engine. I have one sitting in my shop, just gotta modify some brackets and get the job done..
Old 11-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Would be about 5 gallons. Wouldnt have a compressor hooked to it. It would be solely for air storage. How legal is it to transport compressed air like this?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
It's legal..same thing as transporting propane..long as it securely strapped down.
I think air tanks need a pressure relief valve though, usually set around 125-130psi.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Dang liberals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
It's legal..same thing as transporting propane..long as it securely strapped down.
I think air tanks need a pressure relief valve though, usually set around 125-130psi.
Ok. Thanks. I'd install a pop off valve
Old 11-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Dang liberals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
For my horns and filling tires, do it!
That looks really clean. Nice set up.