Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Gas Mileage and Tailgates

Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
HuckleSmothered is on a distinguished road
HuckleSmothered's Tacoma Gallery
Gas Mileage and Tailgates

I've been looking to see if there is a better way to keep my tailgate position; open, closed, off, netting, etc, in relationship to gas mileage.

I looked into this a while ago and found conflicting information and studies. So far, my memory tells me the best gas mileage to the worst is this:

- Shell (well fitted and lightweight)
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7533243_ef...s-mileage.html
- Tailgate down
- Tailgate up
- Net tailgate
- Tailgate off

Can anyone provide evidence (contrary or supporting or personal) of this?

Tonneau cover better. Tailgate off or net tailgate worse.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7533243_ef...s-mileage.html
Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
HuckleSmothered is on a distinguished road
HuckleSmothered's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I believe mythbusters tested this and concluded that you get better MPG's with the tailgate closed. it creates a swirling effect in the bed an helps push your truck forward.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I have a tonneau but don't think it does much for mileage. I usually get the rated highway mpg around town. The biggest factor in mpg for me is how hard i press on the gas pedal.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I see people with their tailgate down and I laugh because it looks so stupid. Also at 1000ish a pop I'm not leaving the tailgate down for longer than it needs to be down.

live via
Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I see people with their tailgate down and I laugh because it like so stupid. Also at 1000ish a pop I'm not leaving the tailgate down for longer than it needs to be down.

live via
X2 whipper, I'm always afraid some asshat is going to hit it with the way some people tailgate, No pun intended!