Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Brake pedal hard to push down

Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Brake pedal hard to push down

Alright guys, so I tried the search function, and Google, and didn't find many results, let alone helpful ones. So my issue is, my brake pedal is though to initially push down. I put my foot on it, and it takes more pressure/force than usual to push it in. Once I get past that first hard spot, it's smooth and easy to push down. I recently put on an extended rear brake line, and DID bleed the brakes. I only bled the rears, not the fronts. Is this an issue? Do you think re-bleeding the brakes would help? Advice?

tl;dr: Brake pedal hard to initially push in, easy after that. Would bleeding help?
Old 11-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
I would bleed them all just to rule out any air bubbles. But i don't think that would be the case. Did it start happening recently? Sounds like there may be too much pressure.

Edit. Just thought of something else. Your master cylinder is probly starting to go
Old 11-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Started maybe a week ago, or maybe that's just when I started noticing it. It's more annoying than anything.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Master cylinder might be going bad. It would be 1st on my list of things to look into. They are also cheap to replace, if you do it.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Bleed your bpv and master first.
If it doesn't fix it, sounds like master is blowing by the seals.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #7

Update:

So I noticed it is off and on. Sometimes I'll get in the truck and it'll be fine, then once I start driving it gets worse. And I just remembered I recently installed JLee's BPV bracket, maybe I have the BPV up too high (set on the 2nd highest hole)? And how would one go about bleeding the actual BPV?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
it's got a nut on it to bleed it through a different hole..it's not the same as a bleeder on a caliper or drum..
but you'll notice it when you look at your bpv..i think it's like a 12mm instead of a 10mm like calipers/drums

I'd advise bleeding your entire system thoroughly..where you getting gurgles out of it? If so, there is still air.
If you weren't getting straight shots with rainbowing at end..then I'd keep bleeding till you do.
All sides should shoot fairly aggressive.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
The BPV would dictate the brake pressure in the rear. if your locking it up on the road or something then you may adjust it.
I'll drop it down a level tomorrow. We'll see if that helps
Old 11-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds more to me like a brake booster failure. Check the booster vac line for brake fluid. If it has any liquid in it, it's bad.
If the pedal was easy to push while you were bleeding the lines, I doubt it is the master cylinder.