1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oxy-acetylene welding questions

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by rzimm001, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Nov 13, 2011 at 12:35 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I happen to have an oxy fuel welding setup that I haven't used for some time and was thinking of getting the bottles filled in order to get back into welding and to fullfill a couple projects. I have only welded a short while and that was back in highschool. A few question then for the pros.

Q1. Any idea what the charge would be to fill/swap oxy and acetylene tanks that are passed their certification date?

Q2. I was thinking of using my oxy fuel welding set to weld some total chaos spindle gussets onto the forged toyota spindles. Is this doable or a good idea? Bad idea? Explanation please..

I don't have access to anything but an oxy/fuel welding (my own set), and a Hobart mig welder (buddies). I'm under the impression that for forged steel penetration is the name of the game. Hopefully someone can clue me in before I make any mistakes I can't take back.

2. Nov 13, 2011 at 12:45 AM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    I'd really use tig for better penetration. As far as tanks, $30 but they will NOT refill expired tanks.

3. Nov 13, 2011 at 12:46 AM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    Mig will prolly work but it spatters a bit.

4. Nov 13, 2011 at 1:19 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Yeah you're gonna have a tough time with those tanks. Also, gas welding sucks. It's doable but arc welding is preferable and easier IMO. You can pick up stick welders on CL for cheaper than you'd invest into a new oxy acet setup, and its easier. IMO.

5. Nov 13, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I wish I had a tig welder, though unfortunately I don't. You think a mig welder would have good enough penetration on forged spindles?

Also to what degree will oxy fuel welding weaken the steel? I've heard that it has a larger heat affected zone. Not sure just how much of a concern that should be for a project like mine. I'd hate to worse off than when I started by weakening the toyota steel.

Products Discussed in

To Top