Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tie rod end removal (2nd Gen)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Tie rod end removal (2nd Gen)

Will this tool work with the second gen tie rod end? I am having a hell of a time removing the tie rod end from the knuckle and am considering order this:

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6297-Ball-.../dp/B0015PN010
Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wade
65tacodude's Tacoma Gallery
I just smacked the knuckle with a hammer a couple times where the shaft when thru on the steering arm and it came right off. One piece of advice, by no means hit down where the threads would be...I've learned.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Been hammering on everything in all sorts of directions and nothing will budge. I am replacing the CV axle and the tie rod end on the passenger side.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I think this is the one I use.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2416&ppt=C2371

but it's hard to say from the web photo. If not that one though - very similar.

And quite a bit cheaper than the one you linked above.

Shouldn't need to order it - just go into your local OReilly and buy one. In fact, they'll rent it to you for free - they just your card for the price and refund it when you bring it back. (It's a free tool loan program - so there's no guarantee that you're getting a brand new tool. But who cares if it's brand new on something you use so rarely?)
Old 11-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #5

No Oreillys here in bum F*** VT (I just moved from somewhere that had one). Just a Bond auto and Advanced Auto, both of which rarely have what I need. Advanced Auto guys laughed when I said I was looking for a tie rod end puller for a Toyota. "We only git Furd and Chevys hurr"
Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
McBride513 is on a distinguished road
Name: Luke
McBride513's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...blockType=G234
Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Pickle forks are destructive on the boot and should be used only if you plan to replace the joint.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Pickle forks are destructive on the boot and should be used only if you plan to replace the joint.
He is, thats why I put it on there. Smacking the knuckle with a hammer should work though.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
YotaMark is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
YotaMark's Tacoma Gallery
Listen. Ive been working on cars for too many years and I will bet you a soda that if you hit the knuckle near the tie rod end, it will drop. if you cant get it out, go to your local Harbor Freight and but the separator. Better yet buy a bigger hammer and hit it, HIT IT!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #10

Pickle fork I have isn't helping. That's why I'm replacing the tie rod end. I couldn't get it to budge and said F-it and started smashing away, destroying the boot in the process. I ordered the puller, hopefully it fits properly. We will see.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh6War View Post
Listen. Ive been working on cars for too many years and I will bet you a soda that if you hit the knuckle near the tie rod end, it will drop. if you cant get it out, go to your local Harbor Freight and but the separator. Better yet buy a bigger hammer and hit it, HIT IT!
I'll go hammer on the knuckle some more tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Bigger hammer FTW. And put your purse down first.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
This is the tool to use:

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7315A-Univ...auto_ai_ps_t_3

It's basically the small version of the pitman arm puller BJMoose linked. (That one is for pulling the UCA and LCA ball joints.)
Old 11-20-2011, 05:43 AM   #17
update?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #19

The tool did the job. I cranked it down and then gave the end where the tie rod is a good whack with the hammer and it popped right apart.

Products Discussed in this Thread