1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer gave me the finger on diff vibration issue...

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Frostbyte, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Nov 17, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    Frostbyte

Frostbyte [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD OR Manual
    SOLD - 03 Black SR5 4x4 TRD OR RIP - 07 Radiant Red SR5 4x4 TRD Sport Fabtech 6" lift, 33x12.50.18 Toyo M/T on All black XD Hoss wheels
    So i just got back from picking up my truck from the dealer. I took it in due to having from end vibrations at 20-45mph. The vibs go away if you switch the vehicle into 4x4. Naturally, they call and tell me they couldnt notice a vibration, and wanted to charge me $120 to swap tires from a different tacoma to try and see if they can notice a "hum". I told them that a noise isnt the issue, and that its a vibration that is the issue. I declined this request, and told them i didnt have a problem with them swapping with a different truck to diagnose the problem, but i wasnt paying them any money due to the fact that it is a warranty issue with the differential. He then told me that i could come pick it up since there was nothing else he could do. Upon my arrival, i noticed that they only drove my truck .2 miles according to the trip meter B that i reset before leaving the dealership. This more than pisses me off... What should my next move be?

-Erik

2. Nov 17, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    rollin904

rollin904 Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Call Toyota Motor Corp and complain

3. Nov 17, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Did you ask them how they could possibly come to that conclusion after only driving .2 of a mile? Get a tech to drive it with you in the passenger seat. Good luck...

4. Nov 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    Frostbyte

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 03 Black SR5 4x4 TRD OR RIP - 07 Radiant Red SR5 4x4 TRD Sport Fabtech 6" lift, 33x12.50.18 Toyo M/T on All black XD Hoss wheels
    I contacted Toyota customer care, made a claim. i dunno if anything will happen. They refered me to another dealership that I made an appointment for this upcoming friday, so hopefully this time around will go much better.

5. Nov 18, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    .2 miles? slap in the face. kinda unsettling the things u hear about the dealership these days...

6. Nov 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    Bring it back and take a technician with u for a drive

7. Nov 18, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    Frostbyte

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    I tried that already, his response was "yeah..... we don't do that". It just seemed that everything I told them about the issue, they went the opposite way on.

8. Nov 18, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    Your badge should get you a more fair shake.

If that doesn't work, that dealer is to be avoided. Hell, they should be avoided regardless if they stonewall so much.

9. Nov 18, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    Frostbyte

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    what annoys me the most.... whether or not they replace the differential, they still get paid, so what’s the huge fuss about the situation? technically, we are all walking billboards for them, just by driving our trucks around, so change the goddamn part, you know?

10. Nov 18, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    superwhite10

superwhite10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garner, NC
    thats not true. at least at my dealer its not (i cant imagine them being THAT different both being for that same company). i have on 2 separate occasions ridden in my girlfriends toyota with a technician in the car with us. good luck with the other dealer.

11. Nov 18, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    I'm actually shocked they'd do this to a cop lol I'm sorry ya gotta deal with this bro, seems like everyday this happens more and more. Good luck on the other dealership.

12. Nov 19, 2011 at 4:25 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    I call bs on their end. When I purchased a used Titan from Toyota (traded for Taco :) I had a noise coming from the bed area and took a technician for a drive to show him. I'd call back and speak with the service manager.

...thanks for doing what u do, btw.

13. Nov 19, 2011 at 4:36 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    My 2007 did the same thing, I had the transmission TSB done and it took 85% of the vibration out. My 2011 never had the vibration as yet, although my 11 has the loose steering issue and my 07 didnt

14. Nov 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    Frostbyte

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    Here is a little update everyone.....

Made my claim with corporate toyota customer service. Took pictures of all 4 tires using a penny as reference to my tire tread, thus proving that my tires were not worn, bald or anything that the 1st dealership refers to. Corpo refers me to a different dealership, which is 45 minutes away. I complained about this originally, fuel isnt cheap, but after my appointment friday, im more than willing to drive the 45 minutes.

I arrived at the dealership to be greated by a tech Who greets me as "You must be Erik, I just got done reviewing your claim with corpo toyota, lets go for a drive and figure this thing out". Outstanding, lets do this. We drive down the block, and like always under pressure, the vibrations didnt vib as much as usual, but vibed enough. We get back to the dealership and im given a loaner scion tc, which was actually pretty nice, hell, they even bought me lunch at cafe rio. 15 minutes later when my wife and i sit down to lunch, i get a call from the tech, this was his response "Holy hell, how did you drive this truck with this vibration, and how the hell did tony divino toyota not notice this?!". I am assuming the truck vibrated his ass off the street like it usually does. He has also advised me that there is a TSB, yes everyone, a TSB for this issue. Parts have been ordered and scheduled to be put back together thursday.

Back to the first dealership...... if there is a goddamn TSB for this issue (which i was totally unaware of), again, why the shady business? pisses me off... if anyone in northern utah has this problem, and wants to get this looked at, please please save yourself the issues, DO NOT go to tony divino toyota, just drive to bountiful and visit Bountiful toyota, much better service. I will update again on thursday after the appointment.

15. Nov 27, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    TSB? Can you post the TSB number when you get your service report back?

16. Nov 27, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    Frostbyte

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    absolutely, it probably wont be till thursday

17. Nov 27, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
  18. Nov 27, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Seems like Toyota Customer Care is no joke, nice to know this. Glad everything is gonna work out for you. :)

19. Nov 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    ^^^ thanks!

20. Nov 27, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    Ha i just sent you a pm and without reading the reat of this thread i guess it was tony divno who would have guessed. they suck man its always your fault there.

Products Discussed in

To Top