Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

TRD Exhaust Woes

Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Exhaust Woes

I'll give you guys the abridged version.

Installed my TRD Exhaust, replaced the exhaust gasket, measured the springs at resting state and they were @ 1.60". Which is supposed to be okay per Toyota spec. Slapped some RTV on each side of the gasket and sealed that puppy up. 4 days later I got a nasty exhaust rattle. Went under the truck and felt A LOT of air coming out of the bottom of the flange. Went home and could see that the springs were not applying enough force to keep this together and from leaking.

Took em out and measured them again, still at 1.60".

Ordered some springs online (no dealer within 50 miles has them apparently...) and they sent me only the bolt. Now I am just frustrated.

Cliff notes: Exhaust bolt springs are not doing their job, now I want to go and try a bolt and washer straight through it without the spring. Do I risk doing any harm?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The springs ensure the exhaust has a little flexability in the system. Although, you should be fine with bolts only, they could loosen and create a leak down the line. Best bet is to make sure the mounting face of both sides is nice and clean, then apply Copper RTV to both side of the (new) gasket, then re torque.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The springs ensure the exhaust has a little flexability in the system. Although, you should be fine with bolts only, they could loosen and create a leak down the line. Best bet is to make sure the mounting face of both sides is nice and clean, then apply Copper RTV to both side of the (new) gasket, then re torque.
That's exactly what I did.

Now I am thinking loctite and some bolts.

I wasn't thinking that it would come loose over time (viable consideration), I was more worried about torquing it down right onto the gasket.

Also, I forgot to mention in the first post is that I am using a new gasket from the stealership.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Fuck it, cut the flanges off and weld in some pipe to length.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Fuck it, cut the flanges off and weld in some pipe to length.
I like this idea as well. I would have to go get this done at a shop.

I do want to get a y pipe as well, so I would have to wait to do this.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
srtacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: keith
srtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
trd exhaust

I had the same problem. The flange on the trd exhaust was welded too far back so when you bolt up the flanges the inner pipes touch before exhaust doughnut makes tight seal in flanges. I trimmed pipe 1/4 inch, problem solved.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Interesting. I didn't think to take a look at that.

I will definitely check that out first thing in the morning.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
Datsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Datsik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by srtacoma View Post
I had the same problem. The flange on the trd exhaust was welded too far back so when you bolt up the flanges the inner pipes touch before exhaust doughnut makes tight seal in flanges. I trimmed pipe 1/4 inch, problem solved.
Did that end up working for you too Blasphemous? Mines got the rattle but I never replaced the bolt, spring or gasket because my truck has less than 5k
Old 12-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
When I was installing mine I heard a loud PRANG!!!! as I was torqueing one of the bolts down. I immediately thought that I broke something, but after looking at things I discovered that the noise was simply one of the bolts seating (the small lip on it pushed through the hole in the cat-back's flange and ended up seated against the back of the Y-pipe's flange). Before both bolts were properly seated (i.e. their lips pushed through the cat-back's flange) I noticed the ears on both flanges bending toward each other as the bolts were tightened. Maybe the rattle and exhaust leak noted in this thread are the results of the bolts not being properly seated?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Eltacos is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Officer
Eltacos's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the TRD exhaust since purchase and I get a rattle at idle with the AC cycle, goes away if I am in drive. Also I get the same noise at cruising speed city 35mph. I wonder if I checked for interference between the pipe and flange.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15xAR10 View Post
been through three leaky gaskets with the trd exhaust in 23k miles on a 2010 v6 access cab trd offroad. TWO FAILED....the one in it now has been in there for about 4k miles and hasn't leaked yet (knock on wood). Not really a fan of the TRD exhaust at this point.
I ended up using a copious amount of RTV to get mine to quit leaking, a ridiculous amount.

All in all I didn't like the TRD setup that much, this truck I went w/ URD and have a different set of problems. Currently can't run my spare tire because the catback is getting in the way.