1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power steering on '08 Taco

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by kylemob, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Nov 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM
    kylemob

kylemob [OP] The Jacobite

Member:
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4x4
    Workin on it...
    Owned for about 10 months and took it to the mountains to hit some trails for the first time. Gave the 4x4 a good test, and spun some cookies in some nice soft mud for a bit (I'm not usually hard on my vehicles but thought I'd see what she could do). Immediately began having power steering issues. Turning the wheel all the way any direction makes the PS start whailing, and turning the wheel at a stop takes a lot of strength. No clue what has happened but I'm going to pay the dealer a visit. Anyone else had this issue or know what the problem may be? I haven't cleaned off the pickup yet, could I have managed to throw some mud up under the truck to cause the problem with the PS? Thanks ahead of time.

2. Dec 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    jdtoothnail

jdtoothnail Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Wapato, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 4x4 w/ 3" Toytec Lift
    3" Toytec/Eibach Coilover lift w/ 5100s in front, Toytec rear BOSS shocks, Light Racing UCAs, OME Dakar Rear Leaf Packs w/ rear axle degree shims, Toyo Open Country A/T II LT285/75R16 (33"), Gear Alloy 712MB Injectors (Machined Black & Chrome wheels), Airaid Cool Air Intake System, TRD Exhaust, Black Head Light Mod, GrillCraft Black Mesh Upper & Lower Grill, Removed Mudflaps, Jensen VM9324 DVD player (secret e-brake override code on all Jensens) w/ Streaming Bluetooth Adapter, Steering Wheel Adapter & Rear Back-up Camera... ALL done by me, thanks to all the info here on TW. If I can do it, you can DEFINITELY do it!
    I've been trolling old threads trying to find my answer. Did you ever figure this out? My 05 Tacoma suddenly has tight steering, more of an intermittent tightness through a full turn. Mine likely came about through similar means: I was going 65mph on the highway, had a split second to hit the brakes and swerve to the right to miss a wild horse just chillin' in the middle of the highway.

Most people on TW seem to have a problem with their pump. I took it to Firestone and they said "Remove & Replace Power Steering Pressure Switch". Can't seem to find much on it. They quoted $119 + $95 labor. Stealership quoted $159 + $140 labor! Seems like something I could remove and replace myself given enough instruction. I found it online for only $32. This has to be something we can fix ourselves.

Products Discussed in

To Top