Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

ABS could had killed me this morning!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
ABS could had killed me this morning!

While exiting my subdivision this morning a large patch of ice had froze on the subdivision road about 15 feet from where it meets with the main highway. The road is on a incline and I was riding the brakes lightly. When my truck was on the ice the ABS kicked in and would not release even when all four tires were back on dry road. I entered out into the main highway and had no braking control. If a coal truck would had been coming, I'd be dead right now. A similar situation happened to me last year. I guess it's time to pull the fuse on the ABS before I end up dead. There has to be some kind of flaw with the design of that system!

Update: I pulled the #42-50amp ABS fuse. I drove across the same patch of ice this morning and all is well now.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
No flaw. ABS was designed for dry conditions.

Glad you are alright. Maybe slow it down a bit.

live via
Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The ABS on these trucks absoutely sucks for snow driving .

Check out Crom's ABS / VSC bypass threads
Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
ABS scares me on fast dirt roads, even....
Old 12-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
No flaw. ABS was designed for dry conditions.

Glad you are alright. Maybe slow it down a bit.

live via
I was only going 5 mph over ice.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillynwv View Post
I was only going 5 mph over ice.
Yeah man. Slow it down.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Use the gears and stay off the brakes is your best bet cause as soon as you touch the brakes on anything slightly slick the ABS goes crazy .
Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
My biggest gripe is that it doesn't cycle very fast at all. I could very easily bring my truck to a controlled stop much quicker without it by simply pumping the brakes, or sliding to a stop for that matter it seems.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
Damnit. dont post shit like this!!!! My prerunner is going to see it's first snow this winter with me as the driver. Even though I am careful, I am used to the AWD of my WRX. I did put snow tires on, and am gonna put some sandbags in the bed, but still.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post
Damnit. dont post shit like this!!!! My prerunner is going to see it's first snow this winter with me as the driver. Even though I am careful, I am used to the AWD of my WRX. I did put snow tires on, and am gonna put some sandbags in the bed, but still.
Pull the ABS fuse an drive safe.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Way scary! But good info. I'm heading out in a few weeks to go snow boarding and this will be the first time I've drove in the snow in a truck.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Way scary! But good info. I'm heading out in a few weeks to go snow boarding and this will be the first time I've drove in the snow in a truck.
Just don't plan to come to a stop with any speed behind you. Ease into stops and you will be fine.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillynwv View Post
While exiting my subdivision this morning a large patch of ice had froze on the subdivision road about 15 feet from where it meets with the main highway. The road is on a incline and I was riding the brakes lightly. When my truck was on the ice the ABS kicked in and would not release even when all four tires were back on dry road. I entered out into the main highway and had no braking control. If a coal truck would had been coming, I'd be dead right now. A similar situation happened to me last year. I guess it's time to pull the fuse on the ABS before I end up dead. There has to be some kind of flaw with the design of that system!
Happened to me several times already, while it never happened on any other vehicle before. I hate that thing, but it made me drive even more careful than before which is good thing. Unfortunately now I can never fully trust my truck anymore in the winter time...
Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Easy while slowing down on the snow and ice is best way.

If you can tell how fast to accelerate on the snow and ice without slipping that gives you and idea of how soft you need to be on the slow down.

I live in snowy NY. I run most of the time in rear wheel drive with no problems (sand in back 120# - 240# helps). I only use the 4x4 for fun or if stuck.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
TacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SFS
Name: Nic
TacomaG26's Tacoma Gallery
As soon as i get back in the states my ABS is gonna be gone in my Tacoma, i hate ABS my first car was a Civic that i did a bit of racing in and the ABS was pulled in it to, ABS is for people that dont know how to work brakes in my oppion.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Glad my 97 doesn't have ABS...IMO it takes away from your control whether its dry, wet, icy, etc...

ABS is for people who don't know how to drive their vehicles.

I almost killed myself in my dad's frontier when I slammed on the brakes on a loose dirt fireroad when a deer ran out in front of me. I am used to my taco w/o ABS stopping quick off road because you can lock it up...the ABS made me slide for another 30 feet before I stopped...luckily I missed the deer...lol
Old 04-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Again people, I won't try to argue the merits of ABS being good or bad. Everyone has their thoughts, but remember ABS is NOT designed to stop your car faster. It is designed to allow you to have better steering control when traction has been lost due to a low-traction condition. We have discussed this topic in other threads and are looking at trying to find more information, that perhaps can be submitted for evaluation for Toyota. I will be using my contacts in GM to see if I can get contact information for someone at Toyota.