1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery good, truck won't turn over

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Dave1, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dec 19, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    Dave1

Dave1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Little Rock AR
    Vehicle:
    201o White 4x4
    Hey y'all, first post here. I have a 2010 Tacoma Access Cab, 6 cylinder 4x4 automatic. Yesterday I came out of a store and turned the key............... nothing! The truck has never even hinted at being weak to start, and the radio would not even turn on, although the fan would turn slower than normal.

My wife came and jumped me and I got home, tunrned the truck off and the same thing happened. My teats meter shows 13.6 volts at the battery terminals and my battery charger show "13 volts, 1oo% charge".

Any help/education would be appreciated before I start going back and forth with the dealer. Thanks!

2. Dec 19, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Try taking the terminals off and cleaning the inside of them and the posts on the battery until they gleam.

If a jump worked you have a clear low battery condition or a bad battery.

3. Dec 19, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Check the Terminals, and injectors.

4. Dec 19, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Ditto-clean the terminals and check to make sure clamps are tight. Depending what kind of terminal-sometimes the top nut-bolt is dirty too.
    Did you measure voltage on the battery or the "terminal"?

5. Dec 19, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    No its the TIRES

6. Dec 19, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    If you had ATRAC it would keep the battery charged for you ..

7. Dec 19, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    You don't need a Battery if you have ATRAC.

8. Dec 19, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
    Try changing the blinker fluid, that always works for me. :D

+1 on the terminals, check and clean.

9. Dec 19, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    John BIG

John BIG neophyte

Member:
    First Name:
    mann
    Ocala
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner SR5 '11
    moto metal 16x8, 165-70R16 r/t, baja roof basket, customize tops,avic z2 upgraded,all pro rear bumper
    Could it be a anti theft alarmed issue? Try reading your manual... I had same problem with my civic one time and it turned out the anti theft got activated when I let my son drove it and key in a wrong key . Of course it did not start to begin with but it activate that thing and the battery died on the spot. Jump start it, did run but the radio won't work. Reset the whole thing and it was back running like it should be.... I don't know about Tacoma's feature though.... But it could be.....

10. Dec 19, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    John BIG

John BIG neophyte

Member:
    First Name:
    mann
    Ocala
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner SR5 '11
    moto metal 16x8, 165-70R16 r/t, baja roof basket, customize tops,avic z2 upgraded,all pro rear bumper
    If my suggestion work out for you, you owe me a bottle of Pepsi when you come visit Florida.....lol....

11. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    Dave1

Dave1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Little Rock AR
    Vehicle:
    201o White 4x4
    The first thing that I did before I called my wife for a jump was to take the terminals off, they were clean as new looking but I know there can still be unseen corrosion, so I put them backs of and off and spun them both directions many time and then clamped them back won well, which they were to begin with. Still nothing!!!!

12. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    Dave1

Dave1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Little Rock AR
    Vehicle:
    201o White 4x4
    That was the next thing I did after checking/removing/ reclamping the terminals. According to my manual, all should be good with the antitheft thingy............................... as in I didn't leave the key close to the dash but out of the ignition switch.

You guys are gonna have to do better than this!:cool:

13. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    John BIG

John BIG neophyte

Member:
    First Name:
    mann
    Ocala
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner SR5 '11
    [​IMG]

Seriously Dave, I really guess you activated it. All the symptom is the same as mine. Leave it running after jump start then check on how to reset your radio or audio code... You should have a set of numbers for password that will make your radio back up running again. In your manual, go to audio.... You still owe me a bottle of Pepsi....

14. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    If it started when jumped then it's the battery!

15. Dec 19, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    Dave1

Dave1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Little Rock AR
    Vehicle:
    201o White 4x4
    One dead cell, battery was putting out "0 - 50 CCA". What you guys say about being so certain it's the battery just because it started with a jump is NOT always right!!!! Alternator issues can lead to a discharged or low charge battery condition where the vehicle won't start without a jump, but fix the alternator problem before permanent battery damage and you're good to go.
    I had that exact thing happen on my last truck!

The reason that I posted to begin with is because I know two people who have Toyota vans which had constant starting/"dead battery" problem and the dealer just kept replacing the batteries, but never FIXED the problem that was causing the issue, and I was wondering if that's been around in the late models Tacomas too.

16. Dec 19, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
  17. Dec 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    montes6173

montes6173 Any place is comfortable if you make it that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Black Western Bull Bar, Avid Off-Road Side Steps, Truxedo Tonneau Covers(OFF), Painted Badges and Grill Black, Removed Mud Flaps, Bestop Supertop(ON), Diff breather mod, plastic-dip lower valance and rear bumper.
    I had the same problem with my truck. The battery on my truck was showing green and everything. It would start when I jumped it but as soon as I turned it off it wouldn't start again. I cleaned the terminals and that helped a little but it started doing the sane thing. I just ended up replacing the battery it self and now it works fine. I think my battery just would not hold a charge.

18. Dec 19, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    rdm197aps

rdm197aps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4x4
    ARB bulbar WARN M8000, OME/Dakar, enough recovery gear to yank a GEO Tracker outta ditch!
    wow, this is an interesting query... as stated above, no start usually means dead battery, or a starter problem... of course it could be in the ignition system (switch, ignition cylinder) ect.

some folks think it could be the anti theft system, but it would need some sort of catalyst to set it off.

assuming only the battery terminals were checked, maybe its in the cable leading from the positive terminal to the positive lug on the starter. there should be two positive lugs on the starter, one for the starter motor, one for the bendix. the starter motor cable will be roughly the same size as the cable from the battery, the bendix wire is much smaller. on older starters you could use a screwdriver to bypass the ignition switch and short between the starter terminal and the bendix, completing the connection and turning the engine.

if its not a cable problem between the starter and the battery, check all relays, neutral/park safety switch, maybe an issue with the roll over/crash protection system... geez now im just brain storming...

oooh!! i noticed its a 2010... get it running and take it to the dealer and trade it for a 2012. the front end looks better in my opinion. :popcorn:

19. Dec 19, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Dave1,

Your truck is running now, correct? And it was the bad cell in the battery?

20. Dec 19, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    5$, you replace the battery and your problem goes away. Sure your checking the battery, and it comes up fine WITHOUT a load on it(ie starting). Once you put a load test on it, the battery will probably drop below 10 volts which equals no start.

Products Discussed in

To Top