Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

05+ DRL Enable/Disable Switch

Old 06-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #21
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Thread revival!! I also noticed a little melting on my lights as well. I'm going to do the switch mod to turn them on and off as I please.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #22
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Okay I finally got some time this past weekend to do this mod. This is for anyone that might have knowledge or can help me out. I'm pretty sure I know what I did but just want some confirmation. I cut the red/green wire like posted and added a toggle switch with an LED light indicator. For power for the LED light I just used an add-a-fuse line and tapped into the fuse block. Now....I think I wired something backwards on the switch and I turned on the DTRL's and they worked for a few seconds then shut off. After that the DTRL's wouldnt work at all even without the switch. Is it possible I fried the flasher relay (small black box the wiring harness plugs into)?? Thats what I think I did. Or do you think its the wiring harness itself? Everything else up front works, turn signals and hazards, just no DTRL's.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #23
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Okay I finally got some time this past weekend to do this mod. This is for anyone that might have knowledge or can help me out. I'm pretty sure I know what I did but just want some confirmation. I cut the red/green wire like posted and added a toggle switch with an LED light indicator. For power for the LED light I just used an add-a-fuse line and tapped into the fuse block. Now....I think I wired something backwards on the switch and I turned on the DTRL's and they worked for a few seconds then shut off. After that the DTRL's wouldnt work at all even without the switch. Is it possible I fried the flasher relay (small black box the wiring harness plugs into)?? Thats what I think I did. Or do you think its the wiring harness itself? Everything else up front works, turn signals and hazards, just no DTRL's.

Just curious for an update, did you figure out what happened?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #24
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebottomline View Post
Just curious for an update, did you figure out what happened?
Yeah I actually got a new relay and harness and that wasnt the issue because my DTRL's still didnt work so I'm pretty sure I fried something else when I wired it backwards, just never figured out what I fried. I ended up taking it all out and selling the DTRL kit here on TW. Plus I just said forget it cause the DTRL's were fading out my rear reflectors from the heat of the light bulbs.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #26
foreman is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
foreman's Tacoma Gallery
Foreman

Hi all,
I am new to this site so I'm not sure what to do here!! So after following the treads on DRL I would like to turn them off on my 2011 Taco. Does cutting the red/green wire apply to my vehical also???
Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #27
Gus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Gus 524's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Ok i bought this switch to use to do the DRL Enable/Disable mod http://www.oznium.com/scion-switch-led and i don't know how to wire it. What places on the switch do i put the two wires?? Here is a wiring diagram for the switch if that helps. http://www.oznium.com/scion-switch-led/tech Also what type of wire do i use to extend the green wire to the switch?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #28
west467 is on a distinguished road

west467's Tacoma Gallery
Quick and easy mod to turn off and on DRLs. Thanks to the OP for posting the DRL mod and then this mod.

A six dollar switch and a little wiring and solder allready in the toolbox:

Hopefully it will stop this from getting worse:

Old 12-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #30
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
hi all, quick question about the wiring. Does the wire from the black plastic clip or white plastic clip go to the power post, and which one goes to the accessory post of the switch, thanks! or does it not matter?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #32
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
has anybody wired their drl to a lighted switch, my switch works perfectly, but i can't get my switch to light up by grounding it, I was thinking is there the possibility that there is not enough power coming from the drl relay?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #33
Boomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boomtacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
Bump.

Doing this mod this weekend. tired of burning out the lenses and plug sockets on my 09. Third set of headlights and 4 plug sockets later.

You will need 12V power from another source. There is not enough power to run the LED on the switch from the DRL circuit.

Thanks again to the previous posters for the wiring information.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #34
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
I ran my DTRL switch into a fog light switch (used FJ roof light switch) with a relay

its a 5 wire switch and also lights up with the night light. check my build or pm me and i'll remember to dig out how I did the wiring.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #35
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, I'm banging my head on my dash hard on this one. I'm hoping that I'm just missing something simple. Here's what I did:

I followed this write-up pretty closely. (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...alth-mode.html)

First, I ordered a 3-pin fin wire extension cable, cut the wires in the middle and connected it to itself. I can take a picture of that if it's confusing in any way.

I found the green/red wire and cut it. Then stripped a little off the end, twisted the stripped cable with some of the new extension wire that had been stripped together. I wrapped the connections with electrical tape to help keep them from getting pulled and keep them protected.

I then soldered the other half of the extension cable to the switch. I connected the two ends and nothing.

My ultimate objective was to turn off the DTRLs, which happened, so I left it like that for a while. Now, I'm cleaning up some projects that I've left unfinished so I'm trying to get this one so that it works.

I thought maybe the switch was bad, so i cut the wire and twisted it together. No DTRLs, so not the switch. Then I figured I needed to check the connections under the dash since they are hard to reach. They were in tact. So I figured the only other point of failure would be the connection in the middle.

I have some 20ga. wire from another project. I decided to eliminate the 3-pin extension cable all together. I put quick connectors on one end to connect to the switch and a butt plug connector on the other end. I crimped the connector onto the other end of the 20ga. wire and made sure it was tight. I then went under the dash and got it connected to the green/red wire. Still nothing.

As of right now, I'm relatively certain that I have good connections under the dash. I'm even more certain that I have good connection to the switch. There is no quick disconnect in the middle of the wire.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #36
west467 is on a distinguished road

west467's Tacoma Gallery
If you are pretty sure of the wiring, take the switch out. Connect the wires.
The DRLs should be working.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #37
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I tried that with the old wires. I suppose I should test with the new ones.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #39
I don't think you're being a smart ass at all. Does the e-brake kill the DTRL somehow?

I think I pushed it in while I was checking the wires under the dash. I then pulled my truck into the driveway, and I usually push the e-brake there too since its on a slight incline.

I'm going to go test this now!
Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by west467 View Post
If you are pretty sure of the wiring, take the switch out. Connect the wires.
The DRLs should be working.
I cut the quick connectors off an twisted the wire together. No luck. However, the e-brake was on....still not sure if that affects it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFunker View Post
Cowboy - not to be a smart ass but, is the e brake on?
I did this
That is why I ask.
E-brake was on. However, I took it off and had the same result. This is after putting the switch back in though.