1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05+ DRL Enable/Disable Switch

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 007Tacoma, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Nov 23, 2008 at 9:34 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma [OP] I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    After my write-up on how to install Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) on an 05+ Tacoma, tons of members have been asking me how to disable them via a switch or permanently. Well, it is quite simple.

First, read how to install them here...
    05+ DRL (Daytime Running Lights) Install OEM

That will show you how to get to the backside of the computer module underneat the dash. To get to the wiring harness and DRL control module.

[​IMG]

On the wiring harness that we install in that tutorial, there is a GREEN wire with a RED stripe coming from the DRL control unit going to the main control unit (see picture below). This wire is the main power for the DRL circuit. If you disable this circuit, you can disable the DRLs without affecting your Hazard lights or your Turn Signals adversely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Green wire with the Red strip is going to go from the white connector to the DRL control module. This wire is only one of three wires coming from this particular connector.

[​IMG]

I then soldered and heat shrink'ed a wire at each end going to a switch. This way I can enable/disable the DRLs at will.

At the moment, I have a very crappy Radio Shack 12v toggle switch controlling the DRLs, but I suggest that you invest in a switch that will look closer to OEM such as one of these:

http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45 ...which was suggested by Keason1*

[​IMG]

CleanYota, Yoda66, furi and 2 others like this.
  2. Nov 23, 2008 at 3:38 PM
    Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 MGray DC SB TRD-OR 4x4 V6 Auto SR5
    Undercover tonneau, OEM tow package with hitch, OEM retractable roof rack, Front window tint (legal), WeatherTech FloorLiners, Door sill protectors, Tacoma bed mat, Rear leaf spring TSB, OEM DRL mod, Door edge guards, AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Removed secondary air filter, Smoked LED 3rd brake light, Romik running boards, Go Rhino hitch step, Extra set of D-rings mod, Bed cargo net, TRD wheel locks, OBX sport pedal covers.
    Great write-up again 007Tacoma! Thanks! I have a question relating to the DRL's that I need help with. I recently installed the DRL kit using your instructions (another great write-up). I have decided that I am going to purchase the Muth heated signal mirrors. My question is, where can I wire the signal lights for the mirrors so that they won't be on all the time, since the front signal lights are now always on for the DRL's? I imagine I will have to use the wires for the rear signal lights, but I do not have a wiring diagram, so I don't know where those are. Do you know where in the dash assembly the wires are located for the rear signal lights? I have a 2009 Tacoma Double-Cab. Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

3. Nov 24, 2008 at 5:34 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    If I were doing it, I would wire them to the rear lights. Let me see if I can't dig up a wiring diagram for you...

4. Nov 25, 2008 at 7:05 AM
    Teufel Hunden

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Undercover tonneau, OEM tow package with hitch, OEM retractable roof rack, Front window tint (legal), WeatherTech FloorLiners, Door sill protectors, Tacoma bed mat, Rear leaf spring TSB, OEM DRL mod, Door edge guards, AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Removed secondary air filter, Smoked LED 3rd brake light, Romik running boards, Go Rhino hitch step, Extra set of D-rings mod, Bed cargo net, TRD wheel locks, OBX sport pedal covers.
    Thanks! That would be great! I appreciate any help you can give!

5. Nov 25, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Check this FSM (Factory Service Manual) for a wiring diagram...

6. Nov 25, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    If that does not work, I can email you a zipped folder of PDF files.

7. Nov 25, 2008 at 11:23 AM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    You guys just keep adding to my to-do list!!! This is a great write-up and I will have to look into doing this one.

8. Nov 25, 2008 at 3:05 PM
    Teufel Hunden

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I really appreciate your help! That link worked just fine. One more question though: The latest wiring diagram is for the 2007 model year, I read somewhere in the forum that the wiring for the 2008's and newer are a little different than for the 2007's and older, do you know if this is true? Has the 2007 wiring diagram worked just fine for your 2008?

9. Nov 26, 2008 at 6:27 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    There are a few additions for the 2009 MY, but for the most part (especially the lights) the wiring is going to be the same.

10. Feb 17, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    LEDtoma

LEDtoma Keep 'em smiling

Member:
    Stanfield NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport Pre-runner
    Bed Lights w/Cab & bed switch Inverter in Cab : dual plug, continuous 12V socket & USB power port Anytime driving/fog light OEM DRL install w/on-off Parking light Mod Borla cat-back Fresh air cab filter Engine compartment light Hbeam enable Garage door opener
    007Tacoma,
    Awesome write-up and thanks. Everysince the '08 Nascar session started and most tracks choose to use the Tundra, I said I have to have those lights. My Taco looks freaking awesome and getting alot of complements here on the East coast. One question though, if I do this "enable/disable mod" will my "parking lot mod" work when the DRL install is disabled?

11. Feb 17, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I have a feeling I may regret asking this, but which "parking lot mod" are you talking about?

12. Feb 18, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    LEDtoma

LEDtoma Keep 'em smiling

Member:
    Stanfield NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport Pre-runner
    Bed Lights w/Cab & bed switch Inverter in Cab : dual plug, continuous 12V socket & USB power port Anytime driving/fog light OEM DRL install w/on-off Parking light Mod Borla cat-back Fresh air cab filter Engine compartment light Hbeam enable Garage door opener
    Dis-regard. I did the DRL mod last night and all is well, thanks again. FYI - the "parking light mod" has been in circulation since I bought my '05. Got the write-up from Pb2theMax @ Cardomain.com, so check there. Thanks again for helping tweak the OEM DRL install Toyota should have added! By the way, take a look at this switch, required very little fabrication from the Dremel. I used for my "bed light mod" and choose a double pole so I could have complete control from the cab and still through 12V's to the bed for a switch there. There are single pole non-illuminated...

http://www.jmsonline.net/CONTURA-SWITCH-ON-OFF-ON.htm

PB2theMax - this guy is blessed with talent and knowledge ...
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238

13. Mar 13, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    JohnMoose

JohnMoose New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab 4X4 V6
    External radio antenna, ham radio, front skid plate (larger than OEM), Grill/Brush Guard, electrical sys for winch (winch slides into hitch rcver.
    Hello. I'm looking for info about disabling the Daytime Driving Lights on the '09. I've had the truck since Dec, and I can't get the dealer to kill'em.
    Thanks

14. Mar 16, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    LEDtoma

LEDtoma Keep 'em smiling

Member:
    Stanfield NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport Pre-runner

15. Apr 26, 2009 at 3:05 PM
    Griztaco

Griztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    How do these wires attach to your switch, my switch has three screws were I can attach only two ends of the wire, so which goes where?

16. Oct 21, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. I didn't realize that I wasn't subscribed to my own thread! :eek:

I didn't attach the third wire as I didn't want the LED on all the time (its pretty bright). There should be model specifications as to which leads you should hook up that came with the switch. If you got the oznium lights, the specifications are on their website.

17. May 17, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    charliegates

charliegates Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Polk County Florida
    Vehicle:
    Taco LB White TRD
    Leer model 122 high top 12v tri-outlet in bed remote start alarm no beep constant outlet power running lights switched
    I just completed the DRL mode for my 2009 DC Tacoma. I did not install the switch as I purchased the wrong switch. However we spliced the power supply for the DRL and tested it several times by shorting it. Everything works fine. I am going to get a switch soon but I would like to thank 007tacoma for his excellent documentation.

18. May 20, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Wow! I searched and searched but I obviously couldn't find this thread. I did it all on my own and made a similar thread here:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/85326-dtrl-toggle-switch-mod-stealth-mode.html

007Tacoma, Thanks for showing the picture with the harness taken out. I did my work with the harness left in place. It would have been a lot easier to take it out like you did.

Also, I should note the the wiring coloring did change on the 1M plug in the 2009 models, just ever so slightly though. See the link above for details.

19. Jun 18, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    I would like to install a switch as described above to disable my DRL.

My low beam headlights and the amber lights are both on when the truck is running but I would prefer to have just the amber lights on and the option to turn those off. (need to have the truck running with the heater and sterio on but no exterior lights, of course this is for stealth parking options with the girlfriend you understand)

So is the modification described in this thread just for the amber lights, or will it also turn off the low beam headlights also?

My '05 came from Florida and I bought it from a used dealer in Canada so I am assuming the DRL mod was installed during or before importing.

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it.

20. Jun 18, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Greg, welcome to the forums! I am afraid that there may be differences between the Canadian version and the U.S. version. The U.S. version does not have low beams on and amber at the same time like yours...

The wire mod in this thread may or may not work for you. But it does however control the amber lights for us.

A wiring diagram for your model and year truck should authoritatively answer your question.

Products Discussed in

To Top