Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Blower motor connector fried (07 PreRunner)

Old 12-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
dmanemann is on a distinguished road
dmanemann's Tacoma Gallery
Blower motor connector fried (07 PreRunner)

Never had a problem with the blower motor or resistor (as others have noted in these forums) in my '07 PreRunner until today when smoke from under the glove-box and the strong smell of burning plastic forced me to pull off to the side of the road.

When taking out the blower motor tonight I noticed that the female connector was fried on one side and contained one of the two electrical prongs that was formerly attached to the motor. I know where I can get a new blower motor but can't seem to find a part number for the connector. I'm assuming that I can splice a new connector into the harness.

Can anyone tell me where I can find that part number, better yet a place where I can order it? Other suggestions for a fix?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Found this on Rockauto.com

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ex...parttype,10138

Just googled 07 prerunner blower motor connector.

Not sure if it's the right connector, but it came up through the search.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
dmanemann is on a distinguished road
dmanemann's Tacoma Gallery
Burnt blower motor connector images

Thanks for the post, NelsonTacoma. I seen those connectors in my search but neither matched the connector I'm looking for. I've attached images of both blower and connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Blower motor connector fried (07 PreRunner)-blower_sm.jpg   Blower motor connector fried (07 PreRunner)-connector_sm.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
stva1006 is on a distinguished road
stva1006's Tacoma Gallery
Burnt blower motor connector part no.

I was wondering if you were ever able to locate the part number for the connector? Same thing happened to my '07 after 6 years being problem free!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
TSlagle is on a distinguished road
TSlagle's Tacoma Gallery
Burnt blower motor connector part no???

dmanemann, Stva1006,

Any luck finding the blower motor connector? Have a 2010, same problems as others. Connector fried.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Chuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement: ICE - San Diego Field Office
Chuy's Tacoma Gallery
This same thing happened on my 2007 4-door 4X4 back in April of this year.

My initial problem was the blower only working on the high setting. A new resistor late last year fixed that problem, but then the blower stopped blowing altogether. I worked the problem to the blower connector. The connector had melted and the plastic insulation on the wires at the connector had melted off about 2 inches. I had to cut the blower wires in order to remove the blower and take it to my bench. I was able to cut off enough material to remove the connector. Lucky for me the two tabs in the blower were intact and the connector, although partly melted and burnt, appeared functional. I notice the connector moved in/out too easy when inserting into the blower connector; this loose connection may have caused the overheating. I cleaned the tabs and used a pick to press the female tabs in the connector for a tighter fit.

I looked for a new connector but I did not find one. I did order some tabs to be on standby in case the connector melts again on me in the future. The tabs are .187 12-10 gauge female disconnects. I "dry-fitted" them and they could get the job done if needed. You only have to glue a spacer to keep the disconnects from making contact with each other. So far, my fix is holding up. All my blower speeds work again, but the wires down there still heat up a bit. I'm still looking for a new connector.

So guys, with the blower on high for a couple of minutes, touch those two wires at the connector and see if they are not too hot. If they are, you may want to remove the connector and crimp the female tabs a little tighter to provide a more secure connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Blower motor connector fried (07 PreRunner)-img_0593-1-.jpg   Blower motor connector fried (07 PreRunner)-img_0594-1-.jpg