Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

After braking to a stop, Feels like I've been rear ended

Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
kerrynichols is on a distinguished road
kerrynichols's Tacoma Gallery
After braking to a stop, Feels like I've been rear ended

After I brake hard on my 2002 prerunner DBL cab feels like I've been rear-ended. What is the cause and why can't Toyata admit a problem exists? More importantly, how do I fix the problem that Toyata says is common to all Tacomas?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same with my '99. Cause is axel wrap. Stiffening the rear so the spring won't wind up around the axel will fix it.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Either your leaf springs are starting to sag, which means they need to be re-arched or replaced, or you need to grease your axle shaft & u-joint.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
My'99 Pre-runner did from the day I drove it new off the lot. Worsened when I put on a shell and after having enough with it I put on some overloads.
Problem fixed.Rode a little tighter but worth it.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Lee's06Taco is on a distinguished road

Lee's06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
My 06 DC does that as well. Not sure of the cause. Let me know when you find out.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee's06Taco View Post
My 06 DC does that as well. Not sure of the cause. Let me know when you find out.
Do this test. Load some weight in the bed, enough to make contact with the overload leafs.
Drive around and see if symptoms disappear. If so, AXLE WRAP.
Trust me, been there fixed that.
I discovered this while moving a gun safe for my gunsmith. Put helper springs from Helwig on and problem gone.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
Name: Mark
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
JCW sells some traction bars from Tacoma's