1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ant Infestation!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by nsb808, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jan 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    drive into the ocean, then some lava

2. Jan 7, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Ants leave a trail of pheromones for other ants to follow to a food source. You need to use a harsher soap to wash your truck with to remove that layer of pheromones. It will also strip the layer of wax off your truck too, but it won't damage the paint.

Using a strong dish soap like DAWN should do the trick, then choose a different truck wax. Flying insects esp flying ANTS love my Meguires NXT 2.0 wax, but after a week they leave it alone, so that could be a contributing issue to your ant problem.

3. Jan 22, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    NewTacomaGirl

NewTacomaGirl Resident crazy cat lady

Member:
    I had ants in my apartment before, nasty buggers to get rid of. If your not horribly worried about your car, you could mix up something that helps kill their "scent trails". A pot of vinegar, paprika, pure mint, and anything with a strong scent and such. Then with a rag wipe your car down or use ant killer around and on the truck and cracks.

Then again I could be wrong and it would kill the paint, just a suggestion that got rid of the ants in my apartment so I thought I would share. Your car may be a funny color and smell a bit, but it seemed to REALLY get them out and into another apartment. hehe

4. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Try the ant bait trays first.

5. Jan 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    Don't have these kind of problems where I'm from. (Knock on wood). I've used vinegar mixed with some water and sprayed it around the house. Seemed to work. Maybe mix in a little bit of distilled vinegar into your pre rinse let it sit for 30-60 seconds and rinse again. Wash with car soap and rinse. If you're really worried about your paint wash twice or polish your whole truck.

Also vinegar takes wax off so be prepared to wax again.

6. Jan 28, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    Unless your truck has a food source they should dissipate in time, I think ants hate heat as well so park in the sun.

7. Jan 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    put a ring of poison around the truck, that way they take it wherever they are going.

8. Apr 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM
    BladeRunner

BladeRunner New Member

Member:
    Hey nsb808 -

I got the same prob. Just bought a 2011 Taco from previous owner, black ants thrown in. I noticed condensation in both tail lights after washing, and then that ants are also in there. Gonna try to remove the tail lights and clean'um out.

I think I'm gonna try put some boric acid dust and see what happens. Kinda hard no mo cold temps in Hawall fo freeze those buggas!

BladeRunner
    (first post)

Products Discussed in

To Top