Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Bad Door Lock Actuators?

Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #41
Pannell_Trd is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
Pannell_Trd's Tacoma Gallery
My driverside front has been out for months. Been to cheap to fix it.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #42
CDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
CDSurfPhotography's Tacoma Gallery
I followed the Rav4 write up a few months ago and cleaned the carbon off and its working just fine for the past 3 moths. I just really hope I don't have to do it again anytime soon, because getting the motor back together took me 4 hours.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #43
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieW13 View Post
Oh yeah, I remember that. My fingertips hurt for 2 days.
They make these things called flat head screw drivers that work great for getting those clips undone...
Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #44
kwade will become famous soon enoughkwade will become famous soon enough
Name: kwade
kwade's Tacoma Gallery
you know that I could use the screwdriver if I had 13 other hands to hold the other clips!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #45
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwade View Post
you know that I could use the screwdriver if I had 13 other hands to hold the other clips!
I got one apart then just worked my way around the whole thing. I used 2 flatheads, one to pry the clips, then the other I kept putting in between the cases to keep it spread apart.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #46
kwade's Tacoma Gallery
Did it.
posted
Old 12-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #47
Miketech has a spectacular aura aboutMiketech has a spectacular aura about

Miketech's Tacoma Gallery
My driver side door lock decided to not work some time back, but i just kept using it and exercising the mechanism and one day, it just worked without a problem, haven't had an issue since and it's been a month or two. I guess the buildup was minimal enough that the exercise did the trick. I fully expect to have to take it apart sometime in the future tho... When I do, I'l be coming back here, thanks for doing the research dude!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #48
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

charles08tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just found this thread. I'll be doing mine this week. Drivers door has been intermittent, now almost constantly not working.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #49
kwade's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketech View Post
i just kept using it and exercising the mechanism and one day, it just worked without a problem
That is what I was hoping for.
Never worked for me.

Glad I got it out of the way. It is raining again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles08tacoma View Post
Just found this thread. I'll be doing mine this week.
Best of luck.
Remove the left linkage before removing the right. The left is more flexible.
Just rotate the linkage CW and lift out.
The for the right linkage, just rotate the actuator top-end away and down from you. the right linkage has two 90 degree bends that keep it in place.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #50
kwade's Tacoma Gallery
It is doing it again
Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #51
DeerMeatTaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
DeerMeatTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome fix!!!! Just got done with my rear passenger side actuator, works like a charm! Thank you!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #52
NCTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
NCTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome!!! Came to this site to look for a fix other than my wallet. Just purchased an 08 Tacoma knowing that the locks were bad. 2 are full time bad and 1 more is intermittent. Thanks so much. Even at my buddies cost for the new parts, I was looking at almost $600 for the three.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #53
If I took it apart and could not fix it, and now my key will not unlock the door, what did I do? Help!!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #54

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTacoma View Post
If I took it apart and could not fix it, and now my key will not unlock the door, what did I do? Help!!
Sounds like you either didn't assemble the actuator correctly, or didn't set the actuator in the door correctly. When you set the actuator in the door, there is a metal rod that extends down from the outside handle, that needs to thread through a hole on the actuator, then there is a piece that looks like a big philips head screw driver that is also on the door handle (that is the door lock) and it also needs to be in contact with the actuator. It takes a little bit of patience to get everything lined up inside the door. If you are positive that you have installed the actuator correctly, then you need to take a look at the actuator assembly itself. You might have missed where one of the slides went, one of the gears might be out and no longer in contact with the locking mechanism, etc.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #55
Allright! Just got home from a weekend at my uncle's. With his knowledge and my elbow grease, all 4 actuators are repaired and working properly. Only 3 were inop but I decided, as my truck is 5 years old, that I would go ahead and touch up the fourth. Once we got one apart, it was no problem. We repaired all 4 in about 4 hours and that's with a 30 minute lunch break for my aunt's homeade bbq. The first one took about 1 1/2 hrs. At Toyota cost through my friend, I was looking at about $500 for the 3 actuators. So, it was well worth it. We shall see how long they last. If anyone needs assistance, I will help if I can. If anyone lives local, and needs help with the repairs, let me know.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #56
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
I had to take my door apart and clean the commutator. Works great now
Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #57
The culprit for those fixing to begin. What it looks like with the carbon buildup and what it should look like when you're complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Door Lock Actuators?-dirtyact.jpg   Bad Door Lock Actuators?-cleanact1.jpg  
Old 03-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #58
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Holy crap I just got done doing mine. Saved $600 the dealer wanted so with that alone I'd say I'm glad I used half my Saturday to do it. All in all it took about 2 hours of work, but I managed to stretch that out.

The hardest parts were getting the linkage loose from the door handle, and getting the case that houses the motor open.

After removing the door panel, and flipping loose the orange clip that secures the door handle linkage, I eventually removed the three bolts that secure the latch too the door, then moved the housing out of the way so I could use the hole the wiring harness plugs into, to use as a fulcrum to pry the linkage free.

Once I had it out, I removed the 5 screws, and got all the clips freed only to be damned by the latch strike plate. Eventually I managed to finagle the case half out from underneath it and get to the motor.

It was carboned up pretty bad. A small vise and strip of 1500 grit cleaned it up. Blasted with some contact cleaner and got it all back together.

That linkage that works the lock switch was the only hassle getting it reassembled. But I'm amazed it's like new again and I didn't manage to permanently damage anything. No broken clips, no scratched body work.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #59

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Figured I'd post up here. I did this fix to my driver's side actuator a little over a year ago. It went from being completely dead to working like new. Well, a little over a year later, it started acting up again. I tore it apart, expecting to find the same gunk I did last time, but it was clean. I cleaned everything thoroughly anyways, same way I did last year, put it all back together and the motor still won't cycle the lock. Just seems like it doesn't have enough power to do so. I guess these motors just eventually die out.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #60
Mine's still hanging in there. Thank God.