1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 and up Transmission servicing

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by viprbomber, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Jul 5, 2007 at 1:17 PM
    viprbomber

viprbomber [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    I would like to know if anyone has done a flush and service on their transmission before the rcommended 100,000 mi service.

2. Jul 5, 2007 at 3:34 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Why would you need to?

3. Jul 5, 2007 at 6:11 PM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes, I had it done at 1,500 miles to get rid of the metal shaving in the transmission. And yes, there were shavings in there just like any other auto transmission when you first break it in.

The Service Manager and mechanic could not understand why I wanted it done since the transmission oil is good for 100,000 miles, but as I explained to them, "No matter how much electronic stuff they put into new vehicles, it's still mechanical undernether all of it and that means a break-in period". As a result, when they dropped the pan, there was metal shavings stuck to all 5 magnets inside of the auto transmission pan that they had to clean off before bolting the pan back on and filling up again.

4. Jul 6, 2007 at 6:34 AM
    viprbomber

viprbomber [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    I live inTucson, the driving and traffic sucks! a lot of stop and go. I started thinking about it because the drive train warranty will be long gone before 100,000. who is going to pay for it then? ME! so i have talked to a lot friends with tundras and tacomas. All changed it starting at 30,000 intervals. The problem on the 05 and up, is that you MUST use the toyota fluid. just a drain and refill at the dealer is around $148.00 AAMCO will do a filter and complete flush for $115.00

5. Jul 7, 2007 at 6:48 PM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is more than just using the Toyota transmission fluid. It is also a rather complicated method of refilling the auto transmission. It required that the transmission be at a certain temperature before they completely fill it and then have to run through the gears several times to completely reach the "full" mark. And all this was done while being hooked up to there diagosnic machine.

Products Discussed in

To Top