Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Differential/T-case fluids

Old 01-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Differential/T-case fluids

I just had my truck in at the dealership from some fluid changes. I had them change the front and rear differential fluids and the transfer case fluid.

This was the fourth scheduled "4x4 service."

They used 80W90 fluid in all three parts each of the first three times, but called me today to tell me the fluid is supposed to be synthetic.

I asked them to use 80W90 again today. I figure I made it 125,000 km with no apparent issues, but does anyone see any massive problem with the 80W90 over other fluids? Thanks.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I don't believe I put synthetic in my diffs or transfer case... also don't believe the Owner's Manual said to. Check your manual, as long as you're using what they recommend, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Your fine with the 80W90, thats what I used on mine as well.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Your fine with the 80W90, thats what I used on mine as well.
Encouraging, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I don't believe I put synthetic in my diffs or transfer case... also don't believe the Owner's Manual said to. Check your manual, as long as you're using what they recommend, I wouldn't worry about it.
Manual calls for Toyota Genuine Diff Gear Oil LT 75W-85 GL-5 in differentials and Gear Oil API GL-4 or GL-5 (recommended 75W-90) in transfer case.

Dealership has always used the 80W90 in all three, so I'm reluctant to change now. It's changed every 30-32,000 km (20,000 mi).