Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How air goes thru your engine.....(basic)

Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #21
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
It is important if the air is turbulent or not. The intake runners are designed to straigten the air flow as much as possible before going into the combustion chamber. A laminar flow will more efficiently fill the combustion chamber than a turbulent flow.
I'm doing a little bit of research now. At the moment, I think the runners are designed primarily to accommodate the air flow bounce back that occurs when the intake valve closes. I'm always open to being wrong(I did agree to get married) If you have any sources, I would love to read them.

Quote:
In the old days of carburation, turbulence was a goodthing, as it helped to atomize the fuel. Now, with Fuel Injection, a laminar flow is best, and is what the manufatures strive for.
I agree.

Quote:
Yes...the turbo IS, in fact, the unltimate "scavenger". And I have pointed out that a turbo does have a parasitic drag on the engine in the form of an exhaust blockage. However, Scavenging is what I described in the first post.
I know you know, I just thought it was a good thing to point out the difference in the air flows through a S/C vs. T/C engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
I still think this has some validity

Seems like a good idea to me...

Actually, most manufacturers do that, just not to that extent. Look up the EGR valve.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #22
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I'm doing a little bit of research now. At the moment, I think the runners are designed primarily to accommodate the air flow bounce back that occurs when the intake valve closes.
They are for that. BUT, if the air flow is turbulant, the pulses wont be able to be as easily tuned, if at all. One of the reasons manufactures have switched from cast aluminum intake manifolds to injection molded plastic ones (other than it IS less expensive), is that the runners can be made smoother, creating less turbulence. if you look closely at the bends in a modern intake, you will see that they are a little flatter than the straight parts of the intake. This is to avoid the tubulence formed when air goes around a turn. The air tward the "out side", if you will, of the bend is going to accelerate faster than the air tward the inside of the bend, thus causeing turbulence in the stream. By flattening it, all the air (more or less) maintains the same velocity. This same thing can be used in the exhaust, as bends in the pipe cause turbulence, and slow down the exhaust gasses. Seems only 1 company has done this with FANTASTIC results, but there is a patent on it. http://www.micronexhaust.com/store/prodserpent.htm
Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #23
Mustache May
MacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of light

MacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Kinda like farting into a tube leading to your mouth.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTaco View Post
Whats wrong with that?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #25
Mustache May
MacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of light

MacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whats wrong with that?
Oh, I never said there was anything wrong with it. haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGOqy1WxJU

Except for that.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #26
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They are for that. BUT, if the air flow is turbulant, the pulses wont be able to be as easily tuned, if at all. One of the reasons manufactures have switched from cast aluminum intake manifolds to injection molded plastic ones (other than it IS less expensive), is that the runners can be made smoother, creating less turbulence. if you look closely at the bends in a modern intake, you will see that they are a little flatter than the straight parts of the intake. This is to avoid the tubulence formed when air goes around a turn. The air tward the "out side", if you will, of the bend is going to accelerate faster than the air tward the inside of the bend, thus causeing turbulence in the stream. By flattening it, all the air (more or less) maintains the same velocity. This same thing can be used in the exhaust, as bends in the pipe cause turbulence, and slow down the exhaust gasses. Seems only 1 company has done this with FANTASTIC results, but there is a patent on it. http://www.micronexhaust.com/store/prodserpent.htm
I guess this all goes back to treating laminar and turbulent as absolute terms. Me saying it isn't laminar and Chris saying it is, we might be saying the same things. My definition of laminar is that there is no turbulence. I'm thinking Chris's definition is that it is mostly smooth flow. (correct?)

I understand what and why you have said about the laminar flow-that laminar flow makes the intake pulses easier to predict and calculate. I see that testing is really the only way to accurately and efficiently design an intake manifold.

I disagree that the design of intake runners is to increase laminar flow. I believe that the design of the runners is largely defined by the desired power band.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #27
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTaco View Post
are you trying to say that you don't sniff your own farts???

Quote:
Whats wrong with that?
yeah!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #28
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
are you trying to say that you don't sniff your own farts???

yeah!
You have to smell the "exhaust". Good indication of your tuning.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #29
Mustache May

MacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hahahahahahaha
Old 03-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #30

Quote:
I guess this all goes back to treating laminar and turbulent as absolute terms. Me saying it isn't laminar and Chris saying it is, we might be saying the same things. My definition of laminar is that there is no turbulence. I'm thinking Chris's definition is that it is mostly smooth flow. (correct?) .
Well.....ok. being as the air stream will never be 100% laminar.

Quote:
I disagree that the design of intake runners is to increase laminar flow. I believe that the design of the runners is largely defined by the desired power band.
Originally, yes. Not long ago, manufactures started useing them (designing) to also smooth the air flow into the combustion chamber.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #31
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally, yes. Not long ago, manufactures started useing them (designing) to also smooth the air flow into the combustion chamber.
OK. Good to know. I concede.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #32

Quote:
You have to smell the "exhaust". Good indication of your tuning.
Correct! that would be your FSR (Fart Smell Ratio). Poor tuning is noticed when checking the FSR you find a bit of S (shit) comming out of the pipe when testing for the FSR. This would lead to a FS/SR (Fart Smell/Shit Ratio), in which case, changeing your diet may be in order.....or seeing a Dr.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #33

Quote:
OK. Good to know. I concede.
Me too.. My head hurts, and I cant get ahold of any of my friends to help me out.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #34
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well.....ok. being as the air stream will never be 100% laminar.

.....making a Throttle Body Spacer (TBS) nothing more than a $40ish trinket.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #35

Quote:
.....making a Throttle Body Spacer (TBS) nothing more than a $40ish trinket.
Yepo! TBS does hold paper down VERY well, however.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #36
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Great write-up chris!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
Great write-up chris!
Ty, Sir!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #38
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
This is the first time I have seen this. Who know iso could make a... a...intelligent post?
Old 02-27-2010, 04:29 AM   #39
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
some very good points in this article. very well worded chris. I tried to give you rep.. but apparently I have to give more rep to other people before I can give some to you again.

A few others that can be added to the list, is the pulse rebound that happens after a valve shuts.

On the 05+ tacomas the air surge tank has a butterfly valve that adjusts the runner length to optimize that pulse rebound to provide optimal efficiency through the full RPM band. This is essentially the theory behind the throttle body spacer, as the throttle body will act as the rebound point on the intake, where the collector is the rebound on the exhaust end.

Then we can talk about backpressure and the importance of proper header design.

You can also dive into diameter changes, port matching, and the Bernoulli's Principle as well (purpose behind mandrel bends in exhaust).

Lots of fun stuff... doesn't everybody just love to learn about the engineering that goes into what we all assumed was just "some path to get air from outside to the motor, and the the motor back to the outside"

PS.. what happened to getting this as a sticky..
Old 02-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #40
2003 TRD Man is on a distinguished road

Name: John
2003 TRD Man's Tacoma Gallery
Chris-- Great Write Up----U THE MAN