Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

quick oil change question

Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
stephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nice
Name: Stephen
stephenm's Tacoma Gallery
quick oil change question

Hi Guys,
just did an oil change on my 2007 V6. Made sure I wasn't draining the transmission fluid. this is the first time I do change it heh first time for everything. anyhow, I followed guides I found online and I think everything went according to these guides.
I did run the engine for 2-3 minutes (idling) after I was done and checked the levels after. Levels were low (However I probably did put over 4 quarts) so I added some more. Reran the engine for another 2 minutes and checked the levels again. Levels were ok this time (spot on the second dot I should have probably put less on the second fill up..).

anyway after 2 idles of 2-3 minutes each, I still have the low oil level light on... Is it normal? does it go after driving a few miles? should I be concerned?
That is probably very (too) noobish but is it actually a low oil level light? or maybe is it cooling fluid level? ... Tho my engine isn't running hot.

Thanks for any tip
Old 01-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
5.5 quarts of oil, should be added.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
yep I put between 5-6 quarts of oil
Old 01-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
stephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nicestephenm is just really nice
I ended up using the whole bottle of 5W30 which is 5.3 qts. dipstick is spot on the second dot.

The light I am talking about is NOT the maintenance required light (that one I reset it just fine), it's a low level light type. I wish I knew where i put my manual =D
Old 01-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Like mentioned it's 5 1/2 qts...I do 5 1/4 and it reads right to the top dot on the stick. To get a good reading take the dip stick out and wait 20 minutes to let the oil drain down the tube. The oil light needs to be reset (it's just a light to remind you it's time to do the oil change.) Check out your owners manual for the process.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Like mentioned it's 5 1/2 qts...I do 5 1/4 and it reads right to the top dot on the stick. To get a good reading take the dip stick out and wait 20 minutes to let the oil drain down the tube. The oil light needs to be reset (it's just a light to remind you it's time to do the oil change.) Check out your owners manual for the process.
thanks, then my levels should be ok - like I said the dip stick is all right. I'll idle the engine for another 15minutes and remeasure.

I'll look for the way to reset that light (for some reason I remember seeing this light going on and off over 2 years during winter in the mountains and figured temperature affecting viscosity was affecting the levels...) - I really didn't know that one needed to be reset.

Thanks!

edit: this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...eqd-light.html says the Maintenance Required light acts as a Oil Change reminder.. I already reset that one, the one I have on, is a level type. I am going to take a picture right now and show you. (I can't find my manual..)
Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
Check to see if the drain plug is leaking?

Not sure why else you would have issues with the low oil level reading unless you didn't put in enough or it is leaking pretty badly.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenm View Post
thanks, then my levels should be ok - like I said the dip stick is all right. I'll idle the engine for another 15minutes and remeasure.

I'll look for the way to reset that light (for some reason I remember seeing this light going on and off over 2 years during winter in the mountains and figured temperature affecting viscosity was affecting the levels...) - I really didn't know that one needed to be reset.

Thanks!
That allmost sounds like the tpms light (they tend to come on in the winter during temperature changes.) Can you take a picture or describe what the light your seeing looks like?
Old 01-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
Check to see if the drain plug is leaking?

Not sure why else you would have issues with the low oil level reading unless you didn't put in enough or it is leaking pretty badly.
nope, no leak (or even signs of) now or before (it's been on for a couple of weeks - looked like a low level type of light and figured it was oil change.. since I was slacking =D )

Dip stick levels are OK now (they weren't before I did my oil change today).

uploading the picture right now.. will post it in a couple minutes
Old 01-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Here's the light that's on.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenm View Post
Here's the light that's on.

Tire pressure. Check all five tires. Usually it ends up being the spare
Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #14

Yep...like I said that's the tpms light. Check the pressure of all your tires and don't forget the spare. It should go off after you air up...if not there's a re-set button under the steering wheel.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
36 PSI on all of them - that's weird now
checked it this morning
Old 01-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #16
spare isn't (or wasn't) gonna be at the same pressure since I don't have a 5th 35x12 Nitto grapplers (Spare is the taco's original spare)
Old 01-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
If i'm not mistaking I think you can download the owners manual...might be worth looking into.
thanks found the manual online
here's what it says:

Adjust tire inflation pressure (including spare tire). If the warning light comes on after
blinking for 1 minute, contact Toyota dealer.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
I will check again my tire pressure - not sure if I can access the spare's valve. if they're all at 36PSI I will assume the light is coming from the spare..
Old 01-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
probably the spare light.....as previously mentioned. Happened to me recently.