1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

quick oil change question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by stephenm, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Jan 29, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    stephenm

stephenm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Socal
    Hi Guys,
    just did an oil change on my 2007 V6. Made sure I wasn't draining the transmission fluid. this is the first time I do change it heh first time for everything. anyhow, I followed guides I found online and I think everything went according to these guides.
    I did run the engine for 2-3 minutes (idling) after I was done and checked the levels after. Levels were low (However I probably did put over 4 quarts) so I added some more. Reran the engine for another 2 minutes and checked the levels again. Levels were ok this time (spot on the second dot I should have probably put less on the second fill up..).

anyway after 2 idles of 2-3 minutes each, I still have the low oil level light on... Is it normal? does it go after driving a few miles? should I be concerned?
    That is probably very (too) noobish but is it actually a low oil level light? or maybe is it cooling fluid level? ... Tho my engine isn't running hot.

Thanks for any tip

2. Jan 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    5.5 quarts of oil, should be added.

3. Jan 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    yep I put between 5-6 quarts of oil

4. Jan 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
  5. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    stephenm

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Socal
    I ended up using the whole bottle of 5W30 which is 5.3 qts. dipstick is spot on the second dot.

The light I am talking about is NOT the maintenance required light (that one I reset it just fine), it's a low level light type. I wish I knew where i put my manual =D

6. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Like mentioned it's 5 1/2 qts...I do 5 1/4 and it reads right to the top dot on the stick. To get a good reading take the dip stick out and wait 20 minutes to let the oil drain down the tube. The oil light needs to be reset (it's just a light to remind you it's time to do the oil change.) Check out your owners manual for the process.

7. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    stephenm

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Socal
    thanks, then my levels should be ok - like I said the dip stick is all right. I'll idle the engine for another 15minutes and remeasure.

I'll look for the way to reset that light (for some reason I remember seeing this light going on and off over 2 years during winter in the mountains and figured temperature affecting viscosity was affecting the levels...) - I really didn't know that one needed to be reset.

Thanks!

edit: this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...eneration-tacomas-reset-maint-reqd-light.html says the Maintenance Required light acts as a Oil Change reminder.. I already reset that one, the one I have on, is a level type. I am going to take a picture right now and show you. (I can't find my manual..)

8. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    Check to see if the drain plug is leaking?

Not sure why else you would have issues with the low oil level reading unless you didn't put in enough or it is leaking pretty badly.

9. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    That allmost sounds like the tpms light (they tend to come on in the winter during temperature changes.) Can you take a picture or describe what the light your seeing looks like?

10. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  11. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    stephenm

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Socal
    nope, no leak (or even signs of) now or before (it's been on for a couple of weeks - looked like a low level type of light and figured it was oil change.. since I was slacking =D )

Dip stick levels are OK now (they weren't before I did my oil change today).

uploading the picture right now.. will post it in a couple minutes

12. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    stephenm

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Socal
    Here's the light that's on.

[​IMG]

13. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tire pressure. Check all five tires. Usually it ends up being the spare

14. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yep...like I said that's the tpms light. Check the pressure of all your tires and don't forget the spare. It should go off after you air up...if not there's a re-set button under the steering wheel.

15. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    stephenm

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Socal
    36 PSI on all of them - that's weird now
    checked it this morning

16. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    stephenm

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Socal
    spare isn't (or wasn't) gonna be at the same pressure since I don't have a 5th 35x12 Nitto grapplers (Spare is the taco's original spare)

17. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If i'm not mistaking I think you can download the owners manual...might be worth looking into.

18. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    stephenm

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Socal
    thanks found the manual online
    here's what it says:

Adjust tire inflation pressure (including spare tire). If the warning light comes on after
    blinking for 1 minute, contact Toyota dealer.​

19. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    stephenm

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Socal
    I will check again my tire pressure - not sure if I can access the spare's valve. if they're all at 36PSI I will assume the light is coming from the spare..

20. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    Dark_Taco

Dark_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro
    Stock
    probably the spare light.....as previously mentioned. Happened to me recently.

Products Discussed in

To Top