Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Auto Door Locks

Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
big69bob is on a distinguished road
Name: Bob
big69bob's Tacoma Gallery
Auto Door Locks

Asked the dealer to program my auto door locks to lock when the truck starts moving (5 or 10 mph) and to automatically unlock when I put the truck into park. They said it was not possible to program it that way! Really??? Driven alot of new vehicles and they all do that. Is this true?

What a pain in the butt to find the little unlock button to let everyone out of the truck when I park!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
No way to program them on the Tacoma. It isn't a passenger car or a SUV.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
big69bob is on a distinguished road
Name: Bob
big69bob's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Dexterdog...if thats my only gripe about this truck I think Im OK. Really love my truck!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Some trucks lock when the shifter is put into drive and unlocks when placed in park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
It turned out that my factory battery was going bad and Toyota recommended that it be replaced. I went ahead and purchased the Odyssey 34R-1500 Red Top battery. The horn does not do the honk anymore when I lock the doors with the remote, but the door locks won't engage/disengage anymore when I shift into park or drive like before. I can live without that feature though. Here are some pics of the difference in size. I had to cut a piece of oak for the factory mount because of the height difference.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Go home Nubbs, street lights are off!
pancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to behold
Name: Pancho
pancho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Lmao.......u don't have to press a thing to let ppl out, they pull handle, door opens.
Back doors you do.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
pancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to behold
pancho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Ah dude, that sucks.

Atermarket alarm status maybe?
I know the 04 Tundras limited do. Find out the wiring for that. Ill check if my dad will let me "investgate" on his truck for the way to do it.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
This has been discussed many times already. It is not possible with the stock keyless entry.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
pancho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
This has been discussed many times already. It is not possible with the stock keyless entry.
You're my possibility
Old 02-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho View Post
You're my possibility
You have 24 hours to get it done or else you owe me some 5 guys burgers.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
wlandrum is on a distinguished road
wlandrum's Tacoma Gallery
Any luck in getting the doors to auto lock?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
There's gotta be a way to do it, it's just involved which is why no one has done it yet. You'd need to get creative with your wiring so whatever wire becomes live when you shift out of park, trips a relay to make the doors lock. If you spend enough time studying the wiring diagram for the Tacoma, I'm sure it's possible.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
No way to program them on the Tacoma. It isn't a passenger car or a SUV.
My F-150 did. Miss that
Old 03-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell View Post
My F-150 did. Miss that
My Silverado did also

I've never heard of one that unlocks when you put it in park though... Not sure I'd want that feature either.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
redinKS is on a distinguished road

Name: Kelly
redinKS's Tacoma Gallery
I realize this subject has been talked about a ton but I own a '12 TRD DCSB and wanted to touch on this subject. My door locks used to automatically lock when I started driving, at around 10 mph or so. I didn't like this especially when I finally stopped I would have to unlock all the doors (usually with the door lock switch on the driver's door) to use any door but the driver's door. I can't count how many times I exited the truck and went around to the passenger side to unload groceries, or whatnot, only to discover the doors on the passenger side STILL locked. What a PITA. Then I would have to go around to the driver's door to unlock all the doors using the door lock switch or hit the unlock button on the key FOB twice. Another PITA!
I, too, was hoping I could program the doors to auto-lock when I put the transmission in drive and auto-unlock when I put the transmission in park. I found a post on TW that described how to perform a similar "programming", although it wasn't written specifically for a 2012. I followed the write-up exactly and now not only do the doors not auto-lock like they used to they have been "un-programmed" from auto-locking at all. They no longer auto-lock after about 10 mph. I took my truck to the only friendly Toyota dealership service center I can find in my area and the techs gave me an incredulous look when I told them the doors used to auto-lock but now don't. The look they gave me was one that I was lying to them. I asked how the doors originally auto-locked and their answer was that they didn't. They also told me the ONLY two items programmable on the 2012 are the seatbelt chimes (on/off) and the speedometer (mph/kph). Hopefully someone on here can explain how I can program the door locks to auto-lock as desired (off in park and on in drive) and if that CAN'T be done how to get the auto-locks back to the original factory behavior (auto-lock when moving around 10 mph). Of course now I can't find the write-up but if I recall it went something like this (although I'm sure I have one or two of the steps wrong): With key in ignition and driver's door closed; open driver's door and remove key from ignition. *Within 30 seconds complete the following* Close driver's door and insert key into ignition. Turn ignition from off to on (do not start) 5 times, ending with key in the off position. Open and close driver's door twice. If ignition on for auto-door lock is desired leave driver's door open and remove key from ignition. Supposedly programming was complete at that point. If you desire ignition off for auto-door lock then close driver's door then remove key from ignition. Programming complete. I'm sure I don't have that written exactly as it was in the write-up but now my doors don't auto-lock at all, EVER. Surely someone (smarter than me) has figured this one out.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #15

redinKS's Tacoma Gallery
I found the steps I performed on a different blog although I swear I found this on TW when I tried it before. Anyway here are the steps I tried:

1. Open the driver's door. Remove the key from the ignition switch.
2. (Complete these steps within 30 seconds)
A. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
B. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times.
(SHUT - OPEN - SHUT - OPEN)
C. Turn the key from LOCK to ON 5 times, ending at ON
(LOCK - ON - LOCK - ON - LOCK - ON - LOCK - ON - LOCK - ON)
3. Programming option (select one of the following).
A. [Ignition controlled lock ON] Close the driver's door.
B. [Ignition controlled lock OFF] Close the driver's door twice, leaving it closed.
(SHUT - OPEN - SHUT)
4. Turn the key to LOCK. The programming is complete. If programming did not occur, start over.

Since it didn't work the first several times I tried it I figured I might as well try several times more. If it works on my '12 I'll let you know.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if there are any similar door lock switches with auto lock in other Toyota models that could be swapped out. I recently saw another thread where someone found fog lights from a Sequoia or something that fit the Tacoma perfectly.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
joesal23 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jose
joesal23's Tacoma Gallery
i had a different question about keyless entry. i never had keyless entry programmed. i want to buy the keyless entry remote off amazon to save money from the dealership. i noticed on another site that sells the remote stating that this will not work unless the vehicle already had keyless entry programmed. has anyone programmed keyless entry themselves? i have a 2009 double cab tacoma.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
Yoda fan
mgratton is on a distinguished road
Army:
mgratton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redinKS View Post
Since it didn't work the first several times I tried it I figured I might as well try several times more. If it works on my '12 I'll let you know.
redinKS,

Did you ever get it to work?

mikeg
Old 09-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #19

redinKS's Tacoma Gallery
door locks

mgratton,

I never did get the door locks to operate the way I would like (Lock in Drive; Unlock in Park) but they are again operating as they did originally (autoLock at around 10 mph). I can't recall how I got them operating again, sorry. I am so disgusted all the doors can't be programmed to unlock with a SINGLE click of the key fob that I think I chalked this crappy feature down as one Toyota really fu##ed up on.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
Yoda fan
mgratton is on a distinguished road
Army:
mgratton's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply.

Personally, I don't mind the double click to unlock all the doors but I do wish that the doors would lock while the truck was in drive and unlock when you go back into park. Most of the vehicles I've had for the last couple of decades did.

mikeg