Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Interesting exhaust article I read......

Old 12-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting exhaust article I read......

In the January 2009 issue of Diesel Power, they did an exhaust swap on a new 3.0 Jeep diesel. I find it interesting, because so many exhaust makers advertise that you will gain "Up to" 20 h.p. or whatever. Now I know the "Up to" doesnt mean anything, BUT, The article brought to light just how efficient modern exhaust systems really are. They installed an MBRP 3" exhaust system. Stock on this engine is 2.75". The new unit used NO muffler. They also installed a "free flow" filter.
Results were:
Stock: 176 h.p.
With filter: 173 h.p.
Exhaust and filter 174 h.p.

Torque:
Stock: 331.23
Filter: 330.14
Filter and exhaust: 331.91

Yes. A LOSS of power.
I know this is on an oil burner, but the flow characteristic still applies to some degree.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
In the January 2009 issue of Diesel Power, they did an exhaust swap on a new 3.0 Jeep diesel. I find it interesting, because so many exhaust makers advertise that you will gain "Up to" 20 h.p. or whatever. Now I know the "Up to" doesnt mean anything, BUT, The article brought to light just how efficient modern exhaust systems really are. They installed an MBRP 3" exhaust system. Stock on this engine is 2.75". The new unit used NO muffler. They also installed a "free flow" filter.
Results were:
Stock: 176 h.p.
With filter: 173 h.p.
Exhaust and filter 174 h.p.

Torque:
Stock: 331.23
Filter: 330.14
Filter and exhaust: 331.91

Yes. A LOSS of power.
I know this is on an oil burner, but the flow characteristic still applies to some degree.
Good 1 Chris-by the way-LOVE them torque #s! Wish I had that in the old cruiser another 100lbs of torque would be sweet. So after yet another instance where exhaust makes very little difference, do you feel it's safe to assume that when Toyota builds them, they use the most efficient exhaust system which is the most closely matched to that particular engine?
Old 12-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Good stuff, Chris.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm....I thought it would be because of the moving up to the 3" that you would lose backpressure, but I heard it wasn't necessary on a diesel engine

Beats me...
Old 12-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
So after yet another instance where exhaust makes very little difference, do you feel it's safe to assume that when Toyota builds them, they use the most efficient exhaust system which is the most closely matched to that particular engine?
Absolutly! Given the constraints of emissions. What I REALLY found interesting, is that new diesels are so choked down with emisions, that an after market exhaust actually HURTS performance. My Old 2000 Dodge Cummins got a dyno proven 32 h.p. from going from the stock exhaust (which was choked down to 2.4" in a couple of places) to a 4" mandrell bent pipe with a straight thru muffler from the turbo back.
I feel it also shows how tuned all the peices of the engine are to each other, and a change to aftermarket parts dont nessasarily mean "better". Seeing a DROP when the "free flow" filter was installed was also VERY interesting. The filter used in the test was a K&N "clone". Oiled cotton gause with a screen backing.