1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interesting exhaust article I read......

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chris4x4, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Dec 6, 2008 at 6:07 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    In the January 2009 issue of Diesel Power, they did an exhaust swap on a new 3.0 Jeep diesel. I find it interesting, because so many exhaust makers advertise that you will gain "Up to" 20 h.p. or whatever. Now I know the "Up to" doesnt mean anything, BUT, The article brought to light just how efficient modern exhaust systems really are. They installed an MBRP 3" exhaust system. Stock on this engine is 2.75". The new unit used NO muffler. They also installed a "free flow" filter.
    Results were:
    Stock: 176 h.p.
    With filter: 173 h.p.
    Exhaust and filter 174 h.p.

Torque:
    Stock: 331.23
    Filter: 330.14
    Filter and exhaust: 331.91

Yes. A LOSS of power.
    I know this is on an oil burner, but the flow characteristic still applies to some degree.

2. Dec 6, 2008 at 6:18 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Good 1 Chris-by the way-LOVE them torque #s! Wish I had that in the old cruiser:) another 100lbs of torque would be sweet. So after yet another instance where exhaust makes very little difference, do you feel it's safe to assume that when Toyota builds them, they use the most efficient exhaust system which is the most closely matched to that particular engine?

3. Dec 6, 2008 at 6:29 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Thats why I have kept my stock exhaust, thus far.

4. Dec 6, 2008 at 6:31 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Good stuff, Chris.

5. Dec 6, 2008 at 6:49 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    Hmm....I thought it would be because of the moving up to the 3" that you would lose backpressure, but I heard it wasn't necessary on a diesel engine:confused:

Beats me...

6. Dec 6, 2008 at 6:59 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Absolutly! Given the constraints of emissions. What I REALLY found interesting, is that new diesels are so choked down with emisions, that an after market exhaust actually HURTS performance. My Old 2000 Dodge Cummins got a dyno proven 32 h.p. from going from the stock exhaust (which was choked down to 2.4" in a couple of places) to a 4" mandrell bent pipe with a straight thru muffler from the turbo back.
    I feel it also shows how tuned all the peices of the engine are to each other, and a change to aftermarket parts dont nessasarily mean "better". Seeing a DROP when the "free flow" filter was installed was also VERY interesting. The filter used in the test was a K&N "clone". Oiled cotton gause with a screen backing.

Products Discussed in

To Top