1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front diff leak...axle seal?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by GotLift37, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Feb 15, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 [OP] Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    went mud riding/trail riding saturday with some fellow tw members. had some belt whining issues i will leave them be because i found this..front diff fluid leaking.. 2 puddle like spots on my driveway. one from last night and one from the night before im guessing. drive side axle seal or something? didnt see any cracks on the front diff. it looks like its coming from where the axle goes into the diff. what do you guys think it is? hopefully an easy change
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Feb 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    yep diff seal leak. dont let diff run out of the fluid. luckily its easy change

3. Feb 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    GotLift37

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    think i could temporary remove the axle and plug the hole with something till the seal comes in? 2-4 days. i wont be able to work on it till monday though work this weekend.

4. Feb 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    You could, but effort to do this is pretty much the same as to replacing seal. So no point of doing it If you stop by Toyota they can probably get you seal in one day. In the meantime buy some cheap diff fluid for top off that is 85-140 that will slow down leaking.

5. Feb 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    GotLift37

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    ok 85-140 is what i bought. have my 10mm hex for the plug.. just cant find my damn ratchet lol

6. Feb 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    Rebel Taco 22

Rebel Taco 22 mall crawler

Member:
    Done this like 3 times. Defenintly the axle seal. Not to hard to replace.

7. Mar 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    livel0veryde

livel0veryde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    missouri
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma based buggy
    did you fix the seal your self and how long did it take?

8. Mar 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    GotLift37

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    no i havent fixed it yet.. couldnt get the seal in... dont know how to do it. if u have any expierence in removing axles it speeds up the process. just have to remove the axle and replace the seal. my seal was so ate up im going to have to take my front diff out to scrape all the old seal out and get the new one in.

9. Mar 15, 2012 at 1:03 AM
    areghas

areghas Active Member

Member:
    Cannon AFB
    Vehicle:
    6in ProComp lift, 33" tires.
    I've had this issue at least 6 times. Luckily I'm still under warrenty and the local shop takes care of it for me. Even when I don't go out on the trail, this starts leaking at least once a month. Anyone have any ideas why the seal would just "go bad" after a few weeks?

10. Apr 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    Skadumz

Skadumz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 tacoma dual cab, long bed, 4x4, TRD Spor
    3" lift 265/70/17 nitto, Grille Craft Grille, Tinted windows, 17x9 Moto Metals Matte Black, Carrier barring drop
    I just replaced my diff bearing with a bushing from east coast gear supply. Replaced the seal at the time. Now I am having a slow leak only while driving. Does anyone know if the seal is snug to the cv axel? like if you filled it up to much with fluid would it come out by the axel? I am so pissed it was a pain to take that cv axel out the first time now to do it all over again...:(

TacoPandaTRD likes this.
  11. Apr 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    GotLift37

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    if you filled it up to much it still shouldnt come out by the axle. I fill up all my diff's till they start to drip out of the fill plug. then put the plug back in and tighten it down. yes its a pain to remove the axles. i have to do that again also

12. Apr 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    Skadumz

Skadumz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 tacoma dual cab, long bed, 4x4, TRD Spor
    3" lift 265/70/17 nitto, Grille Craft Grille, Tinted windows, 17x9 Moto Metals Matte Black, Carrier barring drop
    Just ordered my new seal today comes in Friday. Looks like secOnd weekend in a row I will be ripping into the front diff..:(

13. Feb 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM
    jayyyg84

jayyyg84 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    atomic city
    Vehicle:
    tacoKruizer
    toyo tech coilover
    Are you all having this problem with the passanger side?? My damn truck is giving me a hell of a time with my pass. Side diff seal. I replace it 4 times, two different cv axles n that's it so far n no fix. Cv's are from autozone, I gave up n took it in to a mechanics shop to get it fixed n now they telling me it's the axle that needs replacing, supposedly the autozone axles are crap so they are putting me on a different cv axle they said is better in quality. I'm starting to feel like I'm being put on that magic carpet ride..... But with all your guys' help I hopefully can get my issue taken care of. Btw I have a toytec coilover lift. Mechanic also said if axle don't fix seal leak then it's the lift causing it,,, so you see now why it sounds like I'm being set up.... Or I feel that way myself... Just don't wanna be getting messed with n possibly ripped off

14. Feb 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    OP, I run into this pretty often after wheeling. Sometimes dirt/mud will get in that area and cause the seal to leak, and sometimes a clogged diff vent will cause pressure build up in the front diff, forcing a slight leak at an axle seal. Consider inspecting/cleaning the front diff vent, and using some brake clean spray to get into the area around the CV axle where it enters the housing at the seal. Clean it real well, and blow it dry with some compressed air if you have access to it. I have had my seal leak after almost every wheeling trip. I clean the affected area, clean off dirt/dust from the vent, and no more leaking.

Repeated axle seal failures are typically due to a bad front diff output shaft bearing, which is what the CV axle rides on inside the diff. Most likely your bearing is bad. Check with ECGS on a search here and you will find the replacement bushings. Swap out the seals and bushings, install a NEW CV axle (The most recent one you have installed has probably already been damaged by the failed bearing) and you should be good to go.

Kgrecurit88 likes this.
  15. Feb 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    jayyyg84

jayyyg84 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    atomic city
    Vehicle:
    tacoKruizer
    toyo tech coilover
    Well got my truck back from mechanic n no leaks so far N it's been couple days..... I guess I'll be checking it periodically just to be sure! Finally feel some relief.

So according to the mechanic the new cv axle is what solved the problem of the leaky diff seal. I was told the new cv came with a dust shield that goes between the cv n diff housing n apparently my cv that I bought from autozone didn't have one. Maybe he was right about autozone having sub par replacement parts n luck getting parts that last a while.

16. Feb 15, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    voodootruckers

voodootruckers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glad you fixed it OP, my pass side diff was leaking as well and I replaced the seal and bought a back up CV from napa auto, dang thing kept leaking and I finally took it over to Ramjet rear end repair in the San Fernando Valley. Found out that the front diff output shaft bearing was at the end of its life and needed to be replaced, first time, replaced it and now good as new, I paid $225.00 for parts and labor not sure if it was to much but now its good as new..

17. Apr 16, 2014 at 4:09 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Shit I really need to do this. My drivers side hand been leaking since October!!!!

18. Apr 16, 2014 at 4:09 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Has been*

19. May 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    captainkirk420

captainkirk420 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kirk
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    01 reg cab 5speed 4x4 2.7L 31x10.50s
    is it possible to push the seal to far back i pushed it back till it stopped but i think i need to stop flush so the little ring on the axle shaft sits in the little lip of the seal is this correct

20. Jan 11, 2015 at 5:21 PM
    Blackhawk131

Blackhawk131 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I recently starting having this issue. I raised the truck which is too high and I am going to lower it, but wasn't sure if being too high could have caused an issue to the bearing or seal. In my case I don't drive the truck much at all. ECGS I know put in new bearings and seals when I put in the gears and ARB a year ago.

I don't think that the lift caused any problems. I checked the breather and it appears to be fine or no leaking from that location. I am going to remove it the next time I drive to see if I am getting too much pressure. That said I think it is a bad seal or bearing. Just looking for more information.

Products Discussed in

To Top