Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

"Maint Reqd" light and synthetic oil

Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
"Maint Reqd" light and synthetic oil

I hate to start another synthetic oil question thread, but I'm about 6500 miles into my first synth oil and my "Maint Reqd " light came on yesterday... which is about the usual timeframe that I've seen it from past oil changes. I guess my question is:

How long do you guys go between synthetic oil changes, do you change the filter at different intervals than the oil, or do you change you oil/filter based off a dipstick check?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
5K for me, oil and filter. If I'm running lots of highway miles I'll go 7k with filter at 3.5
Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
With synthetic, I run 7,500 miles between oil and filter changes. I ignore the Maint. Req'd light (just reset it whenever it kicks on) and use my Ultragauge for oil change intervals.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Synthetic, change oil and filter on 5k interval, ignore MX light (reset), track oil change interval on "Trip B".
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I still change at 5000 with Mobil One.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
neilc is on a distinguished road

Name: Neil
neilc's Tacoma Gallery
going to start changing my own next weekend,have benn running deealer oil since truck was new,now looking for a new oil to use now doing it myself,not sure if i want to waste the $ on synthetic because i like changing the oil 4-5k at the most any brand suggestions?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc View Post
going to start changing my own next weekend,have benn running deealer oil since truck was new,now looking for a new oil to use now doing it myself,not sure if i want to waste the $ on synthetic because i like changing the oil 4-5k at the most any brand suggestions?
I've always used Penzoil on my motorcycle and all past vehicles. This is the first one I've switched to synthetic and I went with Mobil 1.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc View Post
For a 4-5K OCI, any oil that meets the API specs will do. I'm running a 5K OCI with M1 (overkill...), but as soon as I'm out of warranty that will increase to 7.5K, possible 10K if I choose to do an analysis.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
10-12K with Mobil One.