Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Changing Rear Differential Oil on 05 Tocoma

Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
parfleet is on a distinguished road
Army: Chief Warrant Officer, CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
Name: Rex
parfleet's Tacoma Gallery
Changing Rear Differential Oil on 05 Tocoma

I shall start getting prepared for a 30,000 miles service on my 05 Pre-Runner, V6 Engine, 2 Wheel-Drive soon. Changing the spark plugs should be pretty start forward I would think. In reviewing the Maintenance Book that came with the vehicle it indicates the rear differential oil must be changed at 30,000 miles if the vehicle came with a "limited slip differential." First, how do I kow if I have a limited slip differential and if I do then do I have to install 100% limited slip differential oil. My experience with GM vehicles is that use use standard 80/90 weiight oil but put in a limited slip differential additive. And just how do I change the oil. For instance, is there a drain plug and a fill plug. Or do I have to drop the differential plate, remove the oil gasket, install a new gasket and/or black high temp RTV and then fill with oil?

Anybody got the straight poop on this?

Thanks!

Rex from Pensacola, FL.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a LSD, there will be a sticker on the rear differential that will say "LSD" some place. If it is a elocker or just open differential, the sticker will not say "LSD" anywhere.

I use a rear differential oil (Redline) on my LSD Miatas that is specifacially made for LSD's because it has the additives already included. I have read that you can buy some LSD additives that will allow you to convert regular "open diff" oil to LSD oil, but I have never tried them.

As for your differential, yes it has a seperate drain and fill plugs, so you do not have to remove the back plate.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
drain plug on bottom to the right(when you drain it, lift driver side rear of truck a bit to completely drain), and fill plug is is the one your looking at when you look at the diff. i used mobil1 in mine(rear locker) it took 3 quarts. the lsd's take close to 3 quarts, and a bottle(or tube) of lsd additive. i will recommend using a synthetic like mobil1,redline or royal purple. to me,synthetics make a difference.

it is an easy process.....removing the spare makes it really easy, but if you dont want to remove it, i suggest you getting a small bottle pump(available at autozone,wal-mart,etc.), as it will make life easier for ya when you are filling your diff. hope this helps!!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
bock10 is on a distinguished road
bock10's Tacoma Gallery
Instructions with photos for rear diff oil change

This site has detailed instructions and photos for changing rear differential oil as well as transfer case, front differential, and shaft lube.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...tenancep4.html
Old 09-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
do you really have to change the differential fluid at 30,000?

there's Transfer case oil and also the front too?

cost a bit much to do it no?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on how long you want to keep your truck in good shape. If you do not care, then never change you fluids till the truck dies or parts wear out.

Remember, it's your fluids that prevent or slow down wear and tear in these areas. So the more ofter you change your fluids (to a point), the better your mechanicals stay in good shape.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
It all depends on how long you want to keep your truck in good shape. If you do not care, then never change you fluids till the truck dies or parts wear out.

Remember, it's your fluids that prevent or slow down wear and tear in these areas. So the more ofter you change your fluids (to a point), the better your mechanicals stay in good shape.
i understand it needs fluid change to maintain the vehicle in good conditions.
but if I do it, I dont want to screw it up and if i let the shop to do it, its going to cost me a lot of money...
Old 09-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
ellsworth is on a distinguished road
ellsworth's Tacoma Gallery
pay now or pay later