Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Passenger window switch and door lock switch not working

Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
DDZPyrite will become famous soon enough

DDZPyrite's Tacoma Gallery
Passenger window switch and door lock switch not working

Hello all, I own a 2012 TRD, OR, 4x4 and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. Occasionally, the passenger side window will not roll down when using the switch, but when I immediately use the master switch on the driver side to roll down the passenger window it works. I've also recently discovered that when the window switch on the passenger side isn't working the door lock switch also doesn't work as well.

I called my salesman when the problem first surfaced (approximately 2 weeks after sale) and he told me that since it was an intermittent problem to just monitor it and give him a call if the problem persists. Well the problem surfaced 3 times since then and brought the truck in yesterday to get it looked at. Unsurprisingly, the window was able to roll up and down with no problem when the service consultant looked at it.

I was told to record the problem when it occurred again and email the video to the service consultant. Any advice or comment is appreciated.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
wiring harness has a minute break is my bet.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
jloe is on a distinguished road
Name: john
jloe's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down

2011 with 15 k just had master switch replaced. passenger side went down would not go up.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
I miss manual windows. Oh wait .. had one of those break too (my Celica .. mechanism just snapped inside the door).
Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDZPyrite View Post

I was told to record the problem when it occurred again and email the video to the service consultant. Any advice or comment is appreciated.
LOL

A video isn't going to help them diagnose the problem. So, basically they are telling you to prove the problem exists.

You just paid an ungodly amount of money for a new truck. If I were you I would go down to the dealer service department and ask them to repair it. If you get the song and dance about duplicating the problem, go up front to the sales floor and tell all their customers about your service experience.

If I had to guess, master power window switch or a wiring harness with a loose pin somewhere between the driver's and passenger's door. But I haven't looked at the wiring schematic, so I could be wrong.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I miss manual windows. Oh wait .. had one of those break too (my Celica .. mechanism just snapped inside the door).
So far my only window mechanism failure has been a manual window regulator stripping out the gears. Go figure.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloe View Post
2011 with 15 k just had master switch replaced. passenger side went down would not go up.
When I brought it down to have them look at it the service consultant mentioned that he has seen similar cases like mine and it ended up being the master switch. He also explained that he couldn't assume changing the master switch will resolve my issue without first verifying the problem for fear of the lemon law in Hawaii that states any repair done for the same problem more than three times will mandate the dealer to replace my truck if I request it.

I can understand their side of it, so I'm not bothered too much by it. What I find frustrating is the problem has magically disappeared. I can't replicate the problem.............
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
LOL

A video isn't going to help them diagnose the problem. So, basically they are telling you to prove the problem exists.

You just paid an ungodly amount of money for a new truck. If I were you I would go down to the dealer service department and ask them to repair it. If you get the song and dance about duplicating the problem, go up front to the sales floor and tell all their customers about your service experience.

If I had to guess, master power window switch or a wiring harness with a loose pin somewhere between the driver's and passenger's door. But I haven't looked at the wiring schematic, so I could be wrong.
It's not a song and dance. If a tech can't duplicate the problem, there's no way to test the fix. You'll have it in five times and the"fix" didn't work. This is the nature of intermittent problems.
The fact that neither of the switches work when it happens does narrow the problem to the passenger's door. Either a plug is loose, or a wire is pinched.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
It's not a song and dance. If a tech can't duplicate the problem, there's no way to test the fix. You'll have it in five times and the"fix" didn't work. This is the nature of intermittent problems.
The fact that neither of the switches work when it happens does narrow the problem to the passenger's door. Either a plug is loose, or a wire is pinched.
Believe me, I understand intermittent problems. I'm an appliance repair tech. The OP has a very good description of what's going on, something most customers do not have. It's not like he's going down there and saying "fix it bitches, I don't have time to discuss this with you." With the amount of time this is costing him, and that detailed description, the dealership should be pulling the door panels and inspecting the wiring at the points where it would cause the exact issue he's describing.

With my work, there comes a point where I have to dig into it and try to duplicate the problem if it's not there when I show up. Otherwise this kind of thing goes on forever.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #11

Thanks for the input people. The problem hasn't come back yet