Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Start-ability Malfunction 2012 Tacoma

Old 02-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
MGMAddict is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
MGMAddict's Tacoma Gallery
Start-ability Malfunction 2012 Tacoma

Hey guys just figured id ask on here to see if anyone is having starting issues with the new Tacoma's. I got the truck in the beginning of Jan and its probably done it about 15 times since.After extended sit periods ill go out to my truck and it will just crank and crack and not fire. Turn it over a second time and it starts right up. Im a technician for Lexus so I hooked up the tech stream and I found a P1604 code stored as a current code.Looked up the code on TAS and there are a ton of trouble areas to check. Glanced over the freeze frame data and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Id like to fix it myself and not have our toyota store throw parts at it, i just didn't have much time to check it out today.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
My '05 does this on occasion.

What I've been doing lately is turning the key to on, without starting, while I organize my phone and wallet and put the safety belt on, then starting the truck, that way the fuel pump has time to get going. Seems to be working.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
I do the same thing......turn key on and let fuel pump work for a sec, until i hear it stop. I've had my 2012 since Jan and so far (knock on wood) I haven't had any starting problems
Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
i understand the fuel pump needs to cycle I just never had to do this on my 2009 tacoma
Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Rmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really nice
Rmesa1's Tacoma Gallery
P1604 sets anytime the engine cranks and does not start. It will also set if the truck stalls. Haven't seen any starting issues on the 2012s I'm a Toyota tech myself I will check with my fts and see if he as heard anything
Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Ive read on here theres a tsb for extended crank..reflash the computer will take care of that. On my 05, i just turn the key wait a second then start..something to do with the engine immobilizer
Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
My 07 had the same issue...took it in after owning only 2 weeks and they did a reflash to fix the problem. It's started right up ever since...no waiting with the key.
TSB EG011-07 JUL 07 Engine Controls - Intermittent No Start Condition
Old 03-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
I saw the service bulletin for the old tacoma int. no start but when I hook up the scan tool the only ecu update is the one for the supercharger mapping. Ive been letting the key cycle for a bit longer and it hasn't happened yet. I just don't see why you shouldn't be able to get in and start it up....Dumb.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Rmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really nice
Rmesa1's Tacoma Gallery
From what I have heard on a cold start where the temp changes a lot from when the car is started to when it was turned off it can take a little while longer for the ecu to adjust the fuel trim to the correct settings for the current temps of the coolant and intake air.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
... Sub'd ...
Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
yeah see thats the thing though, my freeze frame data was all where it needed to be correctly to start, AF's IAT Coolant temp
Old 03-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
Lets keep in mind too its done is on 20 degree days and 65 degree days. Tried swapping keys figuring maybe it was immobilizer issues but it still does it with both keys.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
J Veezy is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
J Veezy's Tacoma Gallery
Dunno if this helps...

I haven't this issue at all on my 2012, but on my 07 I did. I had a widget that let me play music off an iPod with the stock head by pluggin into the changer port. Every so often, it would get confused and stop working so I'd have to disconnect the battery for a few seconds to reboot it.

Every time, without fail, the engine would turn and turn without firing right after. The second attempt fired it right up. I never really thought of it as a problem so I didn't look into it. It may be completely unrelated (I assumed it had to do with the ECU rebooting or winding the fuel pump), but thought it could help your diagnosis.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
hpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manie
hpvds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMAddict View Post
Hey guys just figured id ask on here to see if anyone is having starting issues with the new Tacoma's. I got the truck in the beginning of Jan and its probably done it about 15 times since.After extended sit periods ill go out to my truck and it will just crank and crack and not fire. Turn it over a second time and it starts right up. Im a technician for Lexus so I hooked up the tech stream and I found a P1604 code stored as a current code.Looked up the code on TAS and there are a ton of trouble areas to check. Glanced over the freeze frame data and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Id like to fix it myself and not have our toyota store throw parts at it, i just didn't have much time to check it out today.
My 2010 has been doing this recently for about the past week and a half or so. Also last winter there were a few times where it would either not crank or crank for 5+ seconds and nothing would happen. It was extremely intermittent and would occur randomly and did not seem to be related to temperature.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
The check ball in fuel pump is only so good at holding pressure in the rail.

Keying up the vehicle and allowing it to fully prime the rails and reach proper pressure is the reason it works on the second try.

Most just live with it since the pump still works and it is a decent amount of work to change the pump for just this.

Dealer will not warranty the pump for this issue.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
PitAlain is on a distinguished road
Name: Alain
PitAlain's Tacoma Gallery
water in gas

had my toyota tacoma 2012 since last june and had trouble starting since almost the day i got it,went to the toyota garage for about four to 5 times and the error p1604 was popping every time the only thing that they could tell me is that there was water in my gas and had to put a little can of stuff to remove the water from the systeme that toyota sell with their brand name on it how weird,i hope it will work cause my truck is brand new and i'm sick and tired of toyota right now.