LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Good winches, bad winches?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Good winches, bad winches?

Hey guys, I am slightly considering buying a winch. Where does one start? I looked at the Warn entry level VR8000's online. They sound pretty good. Does anyone have any experience with these? My budget is pretty small, $500 or so. I don't want to get a piece of crap, but I also do not want to spend an arm and a leg on this. I am thinking that an 8000 lb winch should do the trick with my light truck...it's not like I am trying to pull out a Ford F-350 diesel.

Also, does any one have any ideas on mounting a winch without an aftermarket bumper?

Thanks for any help
Sam S
Old 02-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
About mounting winch on stock bumper. I have seen a few here with this. http://undercoverhwms.com/wp/

As far as winches..I have seen lots of Warns..I doubt they make one that isn't good!(as long as you don't try to pull a bus with the least powerful..but thats not cause its a bad winch)
Old 02-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Rich Old Guy
eborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
eborgie's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eborgie
I have a superwinch talon 9.5 and love it. You could find one pretty close to your price range if you do some searching.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
love my warn m8000.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
ive never had one but since the majority of people have warns that leads me to believe that they are pretty legit. i havent seen any threads complaining about any winches on here although i know some are there, that simply means that there arent very many of them. but again google winch reviews and read all of them. thats how you do your homework correctly. i promise that there are a shit tone of people who just loooooooove to complain about everything so there will be a complaint about everything that could go wrong with it. so yea just go search a little and read reviews.

good luck im sure you wont be dissapointed
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Warn is pretty much #1 when it come to winches! We have a 3,000 on are rhino it has been in snow mud been hit with ice 5 inches thick sumerdged in water. time and time agin. Still works like it did the day we put it on!

$500 IMO is a little low to get a good winch that will be there when you need it the most! They also have great customer sevice!

If I put a winch on it would be a warn!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
First figure out the mount.

Then figure out the winch to fit it.

Neither should be "budget" purchases IMO.

You get what you pay for and I would rather have $400 in manual recovery equipment then a cheap mount and cheap winch that could possibly injure someone.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the M8000 is a really common and popular winch, so it's easy to find way good deals on it online. I bet you can find an M8000 for the same price you'd pay for the VR8000, if you hunt around a little.

CBI makes a front receiver mount you can use to mount behind the bumper.

You can also get a "standard" front receiver, but it'll lower your approach angle in the front.

You can also just put a trailer receiver in the back, and mount up off of that, and figure on pulling yourself backwards out of whatever you got into.

By the time all the mounting hardware, remote mount, etc... is procured, you're most of the way of the cost to a winch bumper, though. I know some folks talk down the all pro stuff, but if you got it in plain metal and rattle can it yourself, you're only out about 800 - and I spent more than that to set up my remote mount setup, synthetic cable, aluminum fairlead, receiver mount, front, back, cables, etc...

https://www.allprooffroad.com/05taco...omafrontbumper
Old 02-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I guess to tag team on a thready instead of creating a new one-
Anyone know the main selling points for a VR10000 vs a 9.5xp-s vs XD9000. I'd like to think the VR10000 is good enuf for my use and it comes with an extra 500-1000 lbs of pulling but it's the "entry level" winch-Is it gunna crap out on me in no time flat??
Old 02-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Rich Old Guy
eborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

eborgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I guess to tag team on a thready instead of creating a new one-
Anyone know the main selling points for a VR10000 vs a 9.5xp-s vs XD9000. I'd like to think the VR10000 is good enuf for my use and it comes with an extra 500-1000 lbs of pulling but it's the "entry level" winch-Is it gunna crap out on me in no time flat??
The main differences are going to be the drive system (worm gears, planetary gears, etc) and line speed.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
If you stalk Streetsideauto long enough, you can get a super deal on a Warn. I picked up my M8000 for about $430 by time I had all of the discounts and gift cards they offered.

Mount is the undercoverhwms

Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
Rich Old Guy

eborgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Worm Gears < Planetary Gears?? And Faster Line speeds = better??
http://blog.promarkoffroad.com/2009/...lectric-winch/

and

http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Accessories-winch.html
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborgie View Post
I have a superwinch talon 9.5 and love it. You could find one pretty close to your price range if you do some searching.
I'll have to look into it, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlazer View Post
About mounting winch on stock bumper. I have seen a few here with this. http://undercoverhwms.com/wp/

Interesting. Except it doesn't look like they work with 1st gens. Nice find.

As far as winches..I have seen lots of Warns..I doubt they make one that isn't good!(as long as you don't try to pull a bus with the least powerful..but thats not cause its a bad winch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpneely View Post
ive never had one but since the majority of people have warns that leads me to believe that they are pretty legit. i havent seen any threads complaining about any winches on here although i know some are there, that simply means that there arent very many of them. but again google winch reviews and read all of them. thats how you do your homework correctly. i promise that there are a shit tone of people who just loooooooove to complain about everything so there will be a complaint about everything that could go wrong with it. so yea just go search a little and read reviews.

good luck im sure you wont be dissapointed
right. I just went here before I started a lot of research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
Warn is pretty much #1 when it come to winches! We have a 3,000 on are rhino it has been in snow mud been hit with ice 5 inches thick sumerdged in water. time and time agin. Still works like it did the day we put it on!

$500 IMO is a little low to get a good winch that will be there when you need it the most! They also have great customer sevice!

If I put a winch on it would be a warn!
Warn sounds pretty good. I have an uncle that runs a few of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
First figure out the mount.

Then figure out the winch to fit it.

Neither should be "budget" purchases IMO.

You get what you pay for and I would rather have $400 in manual recovery equipment then a cheap mount and cheap winch that could possibly injure someone.
good idea/advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Yeah, the M8000 is a really common and popular winch, so it's easy to find way good deals on it online. I bet you can find an M8000 for the same price you'd pay for the VR8000, if you hunt around a little.

CBI makes a front receiver mount you can use to mount behind the bumper.

You can also get a "standard" front receiver, but it'll lower your approach angle in the front.

You can also just put a trailer receiver in the back, and mount up off of that, and figure on pulling yourself backwards out of whatever you got into.

By the time all the mounting hardware, remote mount, etc... is procured, you're most of the way of the cost to a winch bumper, though. I know some folks talk down the all pro stuff, but if you got it in plain metal and rattle can it yourself, you're only out about 800 - and I spent more than that to set up my remote mount setup, synthetic cable, aluminum fairlead, receiver mount, front, back, cables, etc...

https://www.allprooffroad.com/05taco...omafrontbumper
Good info. I don't really want to buy an aftermarket bumper though. I'm planning on going to school for engineering next fall. The school has a nice looking machine shop and I hope to be able to build my own stuff their.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
If you stalk Streetsideauto long enough, you can get a super deal on a Warn. I picked up my M8000 for about $430 by time I had all of the discounts and gift cards they offered.

Mount is the undercoverhwms

interesting. nice looking truck!

thanks to all who replied!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Both of those were well worth the read.

Any one with experience with the 9.5xp-s? I can't say that I want to spend that much on a winch, but I want the synthetic line and I want a 9K or better winch.

How about any winch in the Warn VR line? More in the price range I want to spend- but will I have to replace it soon or be disappointed in the performance??
Old 03-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
TAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
TAOScott's Tacoma Gallery
First of all .. please don't mention StreetsideAuto .. I worked for the parent company for 9 years. The CEO has been running a great business into the ground over the last couple years. Layoffs and office closures are approaching 100 jobs+. How does a bedpan salesman suddenly become an expert in the car business??

Anyhow, winches.

Key thing to keep in mind, you should take your truck weight and multiply it by 1.5. This gives you the power to pull the truck. The further the distance between the anchor point and the winch means less pulling capacity. The Tacoma is approx. 5K pounds. Warn makes a 6K winch, great fit right? Not when there is 4 layers of wire out, it can only pull 4600 in, third layer is 5000, second is 5500. This is a big strain on the motor and drivetrain. The fourth layer out on the M8000 is 6600 pounds, plenty of pull. Leave the diesel Superduty in the ditch, don't try to be a hero.

Also think about the vehicle's electrical system. A 6K load on these winches is asking for 350+ amps from your electrical system. Consider a quality deep cycle battery if not a high-amp alternator.

Warn M8000 is a bullet proof little beast. Selling @ $430 from SSA, not happening, as no one in their right mind would sell it below cost. Current rate right now is about $625. I do know of a special right now though if you ask nicely Also is available with synthetic line. The XD9K is just a different planetary gear giving the higher weight capacity.

Warn 9.5XP has the high perf motor and planetary which will offer the fast line speeds. Doubling your budget price though. Also available with the synthetic line.

VR-series is the entry level. Basic, no frills, gets the job done. IMHO they are not a winch to beat on though. The planetary gear set is not the same level as the regular Warns. The VR8000 is $479 right now, and for a minimal investment you can jump to the M8000.

Superwinch, Milemarker, T-Rex are all manufactured overseas to US specs. Some of the larger 12k Superwinches are supposedly built here. Only Ramsey and Warn are US assembled.

ANY ... I repeat ... ANY 8K/9K winch you can find for less that $400 is Chinese. Good luck. Parts and warranty can be tricky. So far Engo and Smitty is your safest bet if you absolutely must shop the discount aisle.

That Undercover winch mount for the Tacoma is sweet BTW
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I've had great luck with my XRC8 as a cheaper winch, I've used it to pull out a DCLB 2500 cummins even. However when it eventually takes a shit I will be replacing it with a Superwinch.

There are plenty of warn v superwinch threads on the net, just look them up and you'll come to a conclusion.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #20
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOScott View Post
Warn M8000 is a bullet proof little beast. Selling @ $430 from SSA, not happening, as no one in their right mind would sell it below cost. Current rate right now is about $625.
What this doesn't show is the 10% certificate I also got which was worth $48. Put that toward synthetic line

I don't know what SSA's record is, but for me, the deal was awesome, and it was delivered (free) 2 days after I ordered it.