1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good winches, bad winches?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by drifter, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Feb 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    drifter

drifter [OP] moderately modded

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    Hey guys, I am slightly considering buying a winch. Where does one start? I looked at the Warn entry level VR8000's online. They sound pretty good. Does anyone have any experience with these? My budget is pretty small, $500 or so. I don't want to get a piece of crap, but I also do not want to spend an arm and a leg on this. I am thinking that an 8000 lb winch should do the trick with my light truck...it's not like I am trying to pull out a Ford F-350 diesel.

Also, does any one have any ideas on mounting a winch without an aftermarket bumper?

Thanks for any help
    Sam S

2. Feb 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    About mounting winch on stock bumper. I have seen a few here with this. http://undercoverhwms.com/wp/

As far as winches..I have seen lots of Warns..I doubt they make one that isn't good!(as long as you don't try to pull a bus with the least powerful..but thats not cause its a bad winch)

3. Feb 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    eborgie

eborgie No Yotas Here

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Bellingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Bronco Sasquatch
    I have a superwinch talon 9.5 and love it. You could find one pretty close to your price range if you do some searching.

4. Feb 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    love my warn m8000.

5. Feb 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    jpneely

jpneely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Land Cruiser, 2017 Land Cruiser
    ive never had one but since the majority of people have warns that leads me to believe that they are pretty legit. i havent seen any threads complaining about any winches on here although i know some are there, that simply means that there arent very many of them. but again google winch reviews and read all of them. thats how you do your homework correctly. i promise that there are a shit tone of people who just loooooooove to complain about everything so there will be a complaint about everything that could go wrong with it. so yea just go search a little and read reviews.

good luck im sure you wont be dissapointed

6. Feb 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    Warn is pretty much #1 when it come to winches! We have a 3,000 on are rhino it has been in snow mud been hit with ice 5 inches thick sumerdged in water. time and time agin. Still works like it did the day we put it on!

$500 IMO is a little low to get a good winch that will be there when you need it the most! They also have great customer sevice!

If I put a winch on it would be a warn!

7. Feb 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    First figure out the mount.

Then figure out the winch to fit it.

Neither should be "budget" purchases IMO.

You get what you pay for and I would rather have $400 in manual recovery equipment then a cheap mount and cheap winch that could possibly injure someone.

8. Feb 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Yeah, the M8000 is a really common and popular winch, so it's easy to find way good deals on it online. I bet you can find an M8000 for the same price you'd pay for the VR8000, if you hunt around a little.

CBI makes a front receiver mount you can use to mount behind the bumper.

You can also get a "standard" front receiver, but it'll lower your approach angle in the front.

You can also just put a trailer receiver in the back, and mount up off of that, and figure on pulling yourself backwards out of whatever you got into.

By the time all the mounting hardware, remote mount, etc... is procured, you're most of the way of the cost to a winch bumper, though. I know some folks talk down the all pro stuff, but if you got it in plain metal and rattle can it yourself, you're only out about 800 - and I spent more than that to set up my remote mount setup, synthetic cable, aluminum fairlead, receiver mount, front, back, cables, etc...

9. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I guess to tag team on a thready instead of creating a new one-
    Anyone know the main selling points for a VR10000 vs a 9.5xp-s vs XD9000. I'd like to think the VR10000 is good enuf for my use and it comes with an extra 500-1000 lbs of pulling but it's the "entry level" winch-Is it gunna crap out on me in no time flat??

10. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    eborgie

eborgie No Yotas Here

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Bellingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Bronco Sasquatch
    The main differences are going to be the drive system (worm gears, planetary gears, etc) and line speed.

11. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    If you stalk Streetsideauto long enough, you can get a super deal on a Warn. I picked up my M8000 for about $430 by time I had all of the discounts and gift cards they offered.

Mount is the undercoverhwms

TacomaBuild005_084ebb0fc345bef18aaea6e0b0a42c5aec9169f2.jpg

12. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Worm Gears < Planetary Gears?? And Faster Line speeds = better??

13. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    dustin81

dustin81 DUSTOFF

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 TaCo Lifted TRD
    PRO COMP 6" Lift Stage II PRO COMP 2.75" Coilovers PRO COMP MX-6 shocks PRO COMP skid plate Bushwacker Fender Flares Smittybuilt Chrome Steps KC Chrome 6" SLIMLITES Billet Custom Grill JDM window vent visors Window Tint Flowmaster TRD CAI
    Very nice set-up ya got there

14. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    eborgie

eborgie No Yotas Here

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Bellingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Bronco Sasquatch
  15. Feb 28, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    drifter

drifter [OP] moderately modded

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    I'll have to look into it, thanks.

right. I just went here before I started a lot of research.

Warn sounds pretty good. I have an uncle that runs a few of them.

good idea/advice.

Good info. I don't really want to buy an aftermarket bumper though. I'm planning on going to school for engineering next fall. The school has a nice looking machine shop and I hope to be able to build my own stuff their.

interesting. nice looking truck!

thanks to all who replied!

16. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Both of those were well worth the read.

Any one with experience with the 9.5xp-s? I can't say that I want to spend that much on a winch, but I want the synthetic line and I want a 9K or better winch.

How about any winch in the Warn VR line? More in the price range I want to spend- but will I have to replace it soon or be disappointed in the performance??

17. Mar 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    First of all .. please don't mention StreetsideAuto .. I worked for the parent company for 9 years. The CEO has been running a great business into the ground over the last couple years. Layoffs and office closures are approaching 100 jobs+. How does a bedpan salesman suddenly become an expert in the car business??

Anyhow, winches.

Key thing to keep in mind, you should take your truck weight and multiply it by 1.5. This gives you the power to pull the truck. The further the distance between the anchor point and the winch means less pulling capacity. The Tacoma is approx. 5K pounds. Warn makes a 6K winch, great fit right? Not when there is 4 layers of wire out, it can only pull 4600 in, third layer is 5000, second is 5500. This is a big strain on the motor and drivetrain. The fourth layer out on the M8000 is 6600 pounds, plenty of pull. Leave the diesel Superduty in the ditch, don't try to be a hero.

Also think about the vehicle's electrical system. A 6K load on these winches is asking for 350+ amps from your electrical system. Consider a quality deep cycle battery if not a high-amp alternator.

Warn M8000 is a bullet proof little beast. Selling @ $430 from SSA, not happening, as no one in their right mind would sell it below cost. Current rate right now is about $625. I do know of a special right now though if you ask nicely :) Also is available with synthetic line. The XD9K is just a different planetary gear giving the higher weight capacity.

Warn 9.5XP has the high perf motor and planetary which will offer the fast line speeds. Doubling your budget price though. Also available with the synthetic line.

VR-series is the entry level. Basic, no frills, gets the job done. IMHO they are not a winch to beat on though. The planetary gear set is not the same level as the regular Warns. The VR8000 is $479 right now, and for a minimal investment you can jump to the M8000.

Superwinch, Milemarker, T-Rex are all manufactured overseas to US specs. Some of the larger 12k Superwinches are supposedly built here. Only Ramsey and Warn are US assembled.

ANY ... I repeat ... ANY 8K/9K winch you can find for less that $400 is Chinese. Good luck. Parts and warranty can be tricky. So far Engo and Smitty is your safest bet if you absolutely must shop the discount aisle.

That Undercover winch mount for the Tacoma is sweet BTW

Mickey SGV likes this.
  18. Mar 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I've had great luck with my XRC8 as a cheaper winch, I've used it to pull out a DCLB 2500 cummins even. However when it eventually takes a shit I will be replacing it with a Superwinch.

There are plenty of warn v superwinch threads on the net, just look them up and you'll come to a conclusion.

19. Mar 1, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    smittybilt XRC8 here. loud, but works great many times

20. Mar 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    What this doesn't show is the 10% certificate I also got which was worth $48. Put that toward synthetic line :)

I don't know what SSA's record is, but for me, the deal was awesome, and it was delivered (free) 2 days after I ordered it.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top